Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrenology

Options
  • 24-07-2006 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just picked this up today for €10 loads of Roots albums for that price in Tower, didn't know which one to get, (cos I wanted a roots album for some time now) I'm on track 7 at the moment and lovin it, so I can offically call myself a Roots fan now Cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i like it myself, i must say, but tbh its probably the roots worst album (well of the albums i have), which is all of them apart from the new one and organix (their 1st which, i've got ordered, had been searching for it for ages. was told about 5 years ago that it was out of print, so imagine my joy all of a sudden when it pops up on play.com, while i was searching for their new one)

I'd get them all if i were you as they are all great albums. The Tipping Point is, as previously mentioned in threads, more polished than previous albums, but still has no filler if you ask me. Illadelph Halflife is probably my favourite of the albums i've got so that would be my 1st recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Indeed it is the worst of their albums imo, however it still has some gems on it (The Seed 2.0). It also has the worst Roots song ever made imo (Break You Off).

My favourite album is Things Fall Apart, absolutely amazing album. The Roots Come Alive is also well worth buying (well they all are but this shouldn't be overlooked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Pretty much yer going to have to get them all lol not a weak album in the whole catalogue. Illadelph followed closely by things fall apart are my two favourites, tipping point and the new one Game theory are both excellent lps as is do you want more, although I seem to listen to that and phrenology(the album that exposed them to me after seeing the seed 2.0 on tv) the least.

yeah i really love the seed 2.0 (even my girlfriend who doesn't really like hip-hop & who i brought to the roots gig, which she claimed was too loud, typical moany woman :rolleyes:, really loved that track)

I actually went out and bought the cody chessnut album as a result of it, which i have to say, does have some nice moments & some cool lenny kravitz sounding tracks, but on the whole i not the greatest.

The same can be said for some of the roots spin-off albums i've bought, eg Scratch's embodiment of instrumentation, rahzel's MTM 2000, questloves collaboration on the Philadelphia experiment. All have some decent tracks on them but are quite hit & miss on the whole

got my copy of Organix yesterday and thats some good squishy!!! Very much along the lines of DYWM (as you'd expect from their early material) Thought is on form and theres some nice jazz influence from questlove. Definitely one to pick up if if you are a roots (or really a hip-hop) fan. Haven't picked up game theory yet, but i'm being quite positive.

And as to a comment made in another thread about J5 being best live act about, i think i would argue the case in the favour of the Roots, thats some serious live music, they rocked the Olympia (would have been even better again in a more cramped venue i reckon!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

illadelph halflife is the one to get next, wicked album...

was never much of a roots fan, had illadelph halflife years ago, my girlfriend dragged me along to that last gig they did in the olympia and it was class...

if you ever get your hands on a copy of "meiso" by dj krush there's a class tune on there with malik b and black thought from the roots on it as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

illadelph halflife gets my vote too. just fooking love that "what they do" track. the vid is one of the best hip hop vid ever to be aired on yo mtv raps. phrenolgy is a good album to, the seed 2.0. is the stand out track there. the original version by cody chestnut is quite a good track to, well worth checking out

Advertisement