Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop from E-bay.

Options
  • 24-07-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭

I've just recieved a laptop from e-bay for an extremely good price.
    It's a HP NC6220 with a pentium M760 processor 2ghz, 1024mb ram, 60 gb HD..

Basically it's this computer http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-64295-89315-321838-f33-447371-447348-1123601.html
    but with more ram.
    HP are selling the same computer for $1600 and i payed €550 plus postage.
    There were some problems with the delivery, Royal mail lost the parcel for 10 days, but that's hardly e-bays fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Got a link to another one or was that the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Not so bad,theres always deals and bargains to be found on ebay as long as you trust the guy your dealing with.Also take your time on ebay,it took me nearly 2 months to buy my D410 laptop,if you set a top price your willing to pay AND stick to it,you'll eventually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

it was a once off i think. There are a lot of good deals on e-bay though, you just have to keep your eyes open and avoid the obvious scammers (anyone selling a brand new xps from korea with 10 feedback from banned members) and only pay through paypal.
    You need a lot of patience though. I don't know how often i was outbid at the very last second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You were very lucky to get a deal like that without getting ripped off, fair play.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

majiktripp wrote:
    if you set a top price your willing to pay AND stick to it,you'll eventually get it.

Very true, It took me 2.5 months to get a Sony TR1 (10.6"), Managed to get it for €700 with a spare battery. Only had one slight problem, the Wifi chip was faulty and that cost €24 (from ebay too!) Very happy with my purchase as they are kinda rare and go for over €1100 for the same spec (If you can find one!)

S.

Oh, and only use paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

excuse my ignorance but whats so great about the laptop at that price? is it a very portable model? Spec wise its not great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well he saved a lot of money instead of buying the same one from HP directly.

Ruu wrote:
    Well he saved a lot of money instead of buying the same one from HP directly.

Ah yeah I saw that obviously, but I'm just saying, 2ghz Pentium M and 1gig of ram (he said it was more then the original 512 so I assume 1gig) would cost about 700 in a new machine, plus it has a terrible GMA 900 graphics card which rules it out for gaming and/or some heavy multimedia work, so I don't see what the actual bargin was, unless its one of those ultra thin models or something! Plus the fact he doesn't really have any warranty now if it was bought off ebay....but even if he did, I still don't see the bargin! Again unless its one of those snazzy wafer thin ones...:D

It took me 2.5 months to get a Sony TR1 (10.6"), Managed to get it for €700 with a spare battery.

Bloody good bargain there! was looking at one of these myself,wanted an ultra portable without the hefty price tag.There a sweet machine! Well may she wear!
    The whole issue of warranty on ebay laptops is a bit of a sticky issue, especially with dell purchases,you can buy a laptop 2nd hand but not transfer the warranty,as far as I know you can add your name and details to the warranty along with the original owner so I guess its as good as....assuming the original owner doesnt report it stolen after selling it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

majiktripp wrote:
    Bloody good bargain there! was looking at one of these myself,wanted an ultra portable without the hefty price tag.There a sweet machine! Well may she wear!

Thanks, I love it! I upgraded the hard drive to 60GB, upped the ram to 1GB and the Wifi is now a/b/g, Its a little beauty, I use it mainly for photography, so size was the main factor, It handles Photoshop CS2 perfectly and I can also use ableton/traktor (DJ programs) on it with no problem. Im going travelling in October (for 2 years) and im weighing up the pros/cons of bringin it with me?

S.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    Ah yeah I saw that obviously, but I'm just saying, 2ghz Pentium M and 1gig of ram (he said it was more then the original 512 so I assume 1gig) would cost about 700 in a new machine, plus it has a terrible GMA 900 graphics card which rules it out for gaming and/or some heavy multimedia work, so I don't see what the actual bargin was, unless its one of those ultra thin models or something! Plus the fact he doesn't really have any warranty now if it was bought off ebay....but even if he did, I still don't see the bargin! Again unless its one of those snazzy wafer thin ones...:D
    Where would I get a PM760 processor machine with 1 ghz of ram for 700?
    Even laptops direct, which is usually pretty cheap struggles to offer anything above 1.7ghz with 512mb ram for €850 and they have the same model laptop as mine, with a worse procecessor and less ram for €1320.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/HP_Compaq_NC6220_PG789ET_ABU/version-1.asp
    For more than the money I paid, I would only have been able to buy a celeron 1.4 processor machine with 256mb ram off the same website.

I have no intention of using a laptop as a gaming platform, unless you spend a fortune, you're going to be stuck with a machine that struggles to play any of the latest games (ie, games released in the last 2 years) and it's going to be practically un-upgradable. I could spend a fraction of that money on an x-box 360 and be safe in the security that it will play all the games at full speed for the next 3 years at least.

Akrasia wrote:
    Where would I get a PM760 processor machine with 1 ghz of ram for 700?

For more than the money I paid, I would only have been able to buy a celeron 1.4 processor machine with 256mb ram off the same website.

Dell recently had their 1300 line with a 1.7 P-M Processor for 500 and something odd euro. granted, it only had 256mb Ram but 30 quid would bring you up to 512. Just saying! :D

In any store though, 550 euro would as you say, only get you a Celeron 1.5 and 256mb Ram, true.

I can't look at that link but if you are saying that laptopsdirect are charging 1320 for a machine of a lesser spec then 2ghz P-M and 1gig of ram then its a rip off, plain and simple. :)

I got a laptop recently with a t2300 1.6ghz Core Duo, which is far superior to a 2Ghz Pentium M, with a gig of ram and a decent gaming card to boot - its cost price was 1199, new.

HavoK wrote:
    Dell recently had their 1300 line with a 1.7 P-M Processor for 500 and something odd euro. granted, it only had 256mb Ram but 30 quid would bring you up to 512. Just saying! :D

In any store though, 550 euro would as you say, only get you a Celeron 1.5 and 256mb Ram, true.

I can't look at that link but if you are saying that laptopsdirect are charging 1320 for a machine of a lesser spec then 2ghz P-M and 1gig of ram then its a rip off, plain and simple. :)

I got a laptop recently with a t2300 1.6ghz Core Duo, which is far superior to a 2Ghz Pentium M, with a gig of ram and a decent gaming card to boot - its cost price was 1199, new.
    Actually, the P4 m760 beats the Core Duo t2300 (which is what you have) in every benchmark test on this page http://www.mersenne.org/bench.htm
    The M760 is only marginaly slower than the 1.8 core duo processor.
    The Dual core processors are better at multi tasking, but in benchmark terms and in terms of pure processing speed, my one wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I've always bought my lappies off eBay - for years now, and never a stinker yet. But it's really all down to sticking to the principles such as provided in the thread, which advice you can take to the bank: (i) find the model/spec you're after, (ii) fix your max price and stick to it, (iii) find the right seller and bid, and (iv) take your time.

I bought my Dell D600 (PM1.6, 512RAM, 20GB, DVD, M9 32MB gfx) for £325 nearly 2 years ago :eek:

An extra €40 or so got me an extra modular bay battery since, and I can play BF2 for 3 and a half hours on my sunny south-facing terrace on a quiet weekend - or browse wirelessly @ g speeds for 5 hours or more :D

Akrasia wrote:
    Actually, the P4 m760 beats the Core Duo t2300 (which is what you have) in every benchmark test on this page http://www.mersenne.org/bench.htm
    The M760 is only marginaly slower than the 1.8 core duo processor.
    The Dual core processors are better at multi tasking, but in benchmark terms and in terms of pure processing speed, my one wins.

Well I personally multi task alot, there aren't alot of apps that require utmost pure processing speed, even later games will run better on a 1.66 core duo then a 2ghz M...

ANYWAY, my point was basically that the laptop you got, wasn't exactly the bargin you say it is - the store that is selling it for 1320 is just a huge rip off and you can't base your purchase on that price. At best, you saved about 200ish euro but lost a warranty, so I wouldn't really call it much of a bargin myself. But if you're happy, thats all that matters, right? :)

Now, Ambro - 2 years ago, that would have indeed been a really great deal!

HavoK wrote:
    Well I personally multi task alot, there aren't alot of apps that require utmost pure processing speed, even later games will run better on a 1.66 core duo then a 2ghz M...

ANYWAY, my point was basically that the laptop you got, wasn't exactly the bargin you say it is - the store that is selling it for 1320 is just a huge rip off and you can't base your purchase on that price. At best, you saved about 200ish euro but lost a warranty, so I wouldn't really call it much of a bargin myself. But if you're happy, thats all that matters, right? :)

Now, Ambro - 2 years ago, that would have indeed been a really great deal!
    I still haven't been able to find anywhere that sells a laptop of my spec for less than a thousand euros. Maybe you're better at shopping than me.

Lads...come on....put the handbags away..

Advertisement