Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 degree lob wedge anyone tried one yet?

Options
  • 24-07-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

anyone tried a 64 degree lob wedge yet? how did you get on?Are they worth buying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I bought one about 4 years ago for 13 irish.. its unusable beyond 15 yards.. i wouldn't advise on one to be honest ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

:eek: i'd be scared of missing the ball and sliding under it completely, css which one did you gt and did you like it for any particluar style of shot,
    i.e. short distance, obstacle between you and tight pin position.
    or did you not like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have one and i love it!

Ideal for playing all types of shots and when you have mastered it you will be able to hit the ball straight into the air and land beside the flag.

I use mind for P & P and anything from 60 metres out from the green on the course, I love to play a nice floating ball onto the green and the lob wedge does the trick for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Well JR, I bought it as an experiment, hence the cheap price I paid for it.

It was useful for a pitch shot over a bunker, or hitting out of really heavy rough. But to be honest, I like a bit more flexibility than that from a club. I bought a 60 degree titleist spin milled LW, and it fits my requirements quite nicely.

Some people might like it though, so i wouldn't say don't try it out.. just don't spend big bucks on one, and expect miracles is all I'll say..

nah, i think i'll avoid it, thanks for the advice, i get scared of my 60 degree sometimes, i think 64 might be a bridge too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

nah, i think i'll avoid it, thanks for the advice, i get scared of my 60 degree sometimes, i think 64 might be a bridge too far.

Same as that... Sometimes my LW feels like a magic wand, other times it hates me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

bought one for 7.50 in Heatons 2 weeks ago to try one out. It stays at home, couldnt get to grips with it or see much benefit of it at all. I'll continue to play my open faced 56* wedge for those tricky lob shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

I don't find myself using my lob wedge in the summer, whereas I use it a lot more in the winter... The reasons seem to be -

1. You can bump and run easily in the summer, whereas in the winter if you don't get on the green your ball will stay on the fringe, so the lob wedge gets you up and onto the green.
    2. The shorter fairways in the summer don't make it easy to connect right with a LW, whereas in the winter you have grass teeing it up a little
    3. If/when you mess up with a LW in the winter, the softer slower greens hold the ball up. In the summer a 30yrd approach can end up 40 yrds the other side of the green (or more likely in a bunker or water etc.) because of the hardness and speed of the greens.

It's ironic really because I thought I'd use the LW more in the summer (to stop the ball on fast greens), but in reality, between bumps and runs and making do with the SW or even GW I'm not using it at all.

delboy159 wrote:
    I don't find myself using my lob wedge in the summer, whereas I use it a lot more in the winter... The reasons seem to be -

1. You can bump and run easily in the summer, whereas in the winter if you don't get on the green your ball will stay on the fringe, so the lob wedge gets you up and onto the green.
    2. The shorter fairways in the summer don't make it easy to connect right with a LW, whereas in the winter you have grass teeing it up a little
    3. If/when you mess up with a LW in the winter, the softer slower greens hold the ball up. In the summer a 30yrd approach can end up 40 yrds the other side of the green (or more likely in a bunker or water etc.) because of the hardness and speed of the greens.

It's ironic really because I thought I'd use the LW more in the summer (to stop the ball on fast greens), but in reality, between bumps and runs and making do with the SW or even GW I'm not using it at all.

Hadn't noticed that, but you're actually right - I haven't been using mine as much either... It's not as easy to nip off the fairway the way you would in the spongier winter grass alright...

On another note, I've been thinking on picking up a cheap GW somewhere (only paid €12 for my LW!) as I have trouble with distances of about 120yds or so. Too far for my SW and not far enough for a full PW (in summer conditions that is) so I end up trying to punch my PW which I just can't do to be honest - always block it left... So annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

GreenHorn wrote:
    On another note, I've been thinking on picking up a cheap GW somewhere (only paid €12 for my LW!) as I have trouble with distances of about 120yds or so. Too far for my SW and not far enough for a full PW (in summer conditions that is) so I end up trying to punch my PW which I just can't do to be honest - always block it left... So annoying!

Why buying a wedge you have to think about the bounce.

You only really need high bounce if you are in the bunker so should get your LW / GW / PW with low bounce.

All the top brands allow you to choose your own bounce. the lower the number the less bounce where as some makers dont tell you the bounce.

High bounce wont work well on hard tight fairways

• Advertisement

I bought a 50 deg gap wedge in McGuirks a few weeks ago (€50 - Nike) and I can't recommend it highly enough. I'm not in the same distance bracket as yourself Greenhorn - it's filling the 80 yrd SW and 110yrd PW gap that I have. Also it's as easy to hit as a PW around the green,but gets up higher and checks better... The SW can be a bit like the LW in that you can thin it if your not careful, whereas the GW seems easier to hit... I use it more than my PW and SW combined - great investment on my part.

delboy159 wrote:
    I bought a 50 deg gap wedge in McGuirks a few weeks ago (€50 - Nike) and I can't recommend it highly enough. I'm not in the same distance bracket as yourself Greenhorn - it's filling the 80 yrd SW and 110yrd PW gap that I have. Also it's as easy to hit as a PW around the green,but gets up higher and checks better... The SW can be a bit like the LW in that you can thin it if your not careful, whereas the GW seems easier to hit... I use it more than my PW and SW combined - great investment on my part.

Just out of interest, what club did you drop from your bag when you got it? I'd probably drop the 4-iron as I rarely use it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

delboy159 wrote:

I'd have to agree. I had a 48* PW, a 56* SW and a 60* LW in my bag, but I was struggling in the 90~110 yard range. I couldn't quite hit my SW that far, and I couldn't get the feel for hitting a half or 3/4 PW, so I bought a 52* GW and dropped my LW. Best move I ever made. The LW was grand for tricky shots around the green, but I just couldn't use it anywhere else. I was hitting the LW too high with little distance.

Dropped the LW.

Will probably put the LW back in when winter hits - then I'll take out my 3 wood. I'm not using it now anyway because
    a) I'm hitting my driver as consistently as my 3 wood (as in I'm as liable to slice my 3 wood as I am my driver)
    b) If I want a safe tee shot on a Par4/Par5 I'll use my 18 deg or 22 deg utility clubs - they are a lot straighter and only 20/35 yrds shorter than the 3 wood

delboy159 wrote:
    Dropped the LW.

Will probably put the LW back in when winter hits - then I'll take out my 3 wood. I'm not using it now anyway because
    a) I'm hitting my driver as consistently as my 3 wood (as in I'm as liable to slice my 3 wood as I am my driver)
    b) If I want a safe tee shot on a Par4/Par5 I'll use my 18 deg or 22 deg utility clubs - they are a lot straighter and only 20/35 yrds shorter than the 3 wood

Agreed, after my four-iron my 3Wood is the least used club in my bag. I have some sort of mental block with 3Woods - I just can't hit em off a tee anymore! I used to use one all the time from the tee as a beginner but now I wouldn't dream of hitting my 3W off a tee... Don't mind it from the fairway but never from the tee.

I would be a relatively long hitter off the tea (although erratic!) so when I drive the ball well I'll usually be within short iron/wedge range for my approach on Par4s. But when I land in that 115/120 yds slot I'm snookered... Yep, GW is next on my list of purchases - you've convinced me! :)

Incidentally, the subject of 'bounce' came up earlier - I find using the LW out of bunkers alot easier. My LW has no bounce I think where as my SW has a rather large flange. I'm much more confident with the oul Lobber... What's most other fellas club of choice from the bunker?

good old fashioned SW (56 deg)
    i only hold onto my LW for shots over bunkers etc when i need to stop quickly, i never use it when i can bump and run or pitch in. but leaving it out is dodgy , you don't know what club you need to hit until you're standing over the ball.

Advertisement