Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car security

Options
  • 23-07-2006 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

There has been a spate of car thefts from work lately and I want something to secure the old girl from joyriders. She is a 91 micra, i know but I don't want scumbags taking her. They stole a 92 205 last week.

I am torn between this and this

What do you think? Would you recommend something else?

thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Those gear lever things are useless...remember watchin/readin somethin before where it took them 2 secs to remove it....get one of the steering wheel locks that completely cover the wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thick chain and expensive padlock is best. Ask any Garda.

Those devices you linked are only toys that can be bypassed by many amateurs. In saying that they are probably a deterrant. The thief will just move on to a car without any.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

Those devices you linked are only toys that can be bypassed by many amateurs. In saying that they are probably a deterrant. The thief will just move on to a car without any.

Have to agree. The issue isnt stopping them stealing your but making them choose something else! Most of the scum that steal cars can probably get into most cars and locks etc.. however if the choice is between a car with a dirty big chain and GOOD padlock and a car without one I know what they would choose.

Just wrap the chain around the seat and steering wheel. But make sure that if you buy a decent chain that you buy a good padlock - not something from Woodies/Aldi etc.. And dont forget that if you sell the car you will always be able to keep the lock and chain. So its not like you are throwing money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This any use at all? Thanks for the advice so far. :)

Bond-007 wrote:
    This any use at all? Thanks for the advice so far. :)

Yes but make sure it's long enough. (I think that they are for motorcycles?)

• Advertisement

Thanks, How can I measure it? Round the steering wheel and under the seat?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Thanks, How can I measure it? Round the steering wheel and under the seat?

Use a piece of string/rope to measure it. You only really need to go around the lowest part of the wheel. If it's more than 1.5 metres, that chain won't fit.

You don't necessarily have to go around the seat. I loop it around two of the bars across the bottom of the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As already stated the two devices in the original post are a complete waste of time and money. Both of them could be gotten off in well under a minute. I have read reviews of similar devices where it only took 5 seconds to get them off.

Now here's something that is dearer but has gotten far better reviews.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=4501&productId=245489&clickfrom=name

Not so sure about the chains. Couldn't a thief make a small cut in the steering wheel and thread the chain out throught the cut. I suppose it would depend on how well you have chained up the wheel/seat/handbrake/gearstick

You could always pop the bonnet and take out a vital part of the ignition and put it in your pocket. A rotor arm or something? Opportunist thieves generally won't be carrying spare parts for a 91 Micra around with them :)

BrianD3 wrote:
    Not so sure about the chains. Couldn't a thief make a small cut in the steering wheel and thread the chain out throught the cut.

Did you ever try to cut through a steering wheel? They are (or used to be) very tough. The opportunist thief is just going to move on unless it's an M5 or something that's stolen to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Did you ever try to cut through a steering wheel? They are (or used to be) very tough. The opportunist thief is just going to move on unless it's an M5 or something that's stolen to order.
    Never tried cutting one :) But I have seen cars after they've been burnt out and all the plastic/rubber around the steering wheel rim has melted away. The metal part of the rim that was left was a lot thinner than I thought it would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

A hacksaw to a steering wheel is like a hot knife to butter.

That disklock in the last post by brianD3 is a good one,it'l be more than enough to stop some little scumbag having a go at the car.There actually a bloody annoying device as they spin when you try to get a grip on them

eireal wrote:
    A hacksaw to a steering wheel is like a hot knife to butter.

They must have changed a lot then. I remember trying to cut through the steering wheel of a Mk I Cortina and it took ages. I still think the thief is going to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Halfords do a steering-wheel bar/lock called the 4-tress that gets a good write-up by Autoexpress, and is Thatcham-approved. I would need 4-cuts of the steering-wheel to removed. I think it's about €50

*anything* is better than nothing since tealeaves will always steal an early 90's car no matter what it is. They're just too easy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 punter281

www.mrm.ie
    is worth looking at

Overkill for a 91 Micra tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Disklocks that cover the whole steering wheel aren't really the best...They spin on the wheel due to the ball bearings underneath, but really all u have to do to stop that is jam something between the wheel and the disc to prevent the steering wheel from spinning and hey presto, uve gota working steering wheel!!
    I would agree that they are a good deterent, if not an expensive one...A good quality chain is the best bet.
    Or u cud get a kill switch like me!!
    My boyfriend installed a switch thats linked 2 the ignition wires in side my car. I switch it off and the car cant b started, even if u have the keys! And the switch is well hidden so the robbin w***ers cant take my baby!! (hopefully they wont find it!) :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you do go down the chain and lock road, make sure to leave it a little slack which makes it a little harder to cut threw with a hacksaw or similar. Not that they would but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

There's a couple of tricks you can do for short term layups, like at the airport or whatever.

I usually remove the fuel pump relay and pop it in my pocket (it's only a wee thing), good luck to any of the scrotes that have one on them!

I'm heading away for holidays in a day or so - so I'll be removing the steering wheel (held on with 6 grub screws). That's a fairly obvious deterrent to any opportunist!

(the car has a full alarm & immobiliser, by the way)

M.

Mr. Bean was ahead of his time, taking the steering wheel with him. :)

Advertisement