Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 clubs in the bag? I don't think so

Options
  • 23-07-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I was playing in a friendly the other morning and I noticed that my playing partner had more than his fair share of clubs. I confronted him and he said he wont get rid of them, rather he wont use the other clubs

Is this legal? Does the rule say no more than 14 clubs used during a round or 14 clubs carried.

It is a trend I have noticed going round

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

it's in the bag not whether they are used or not, if you remember it cost woosnam quite badly a few years ago and he was only on the 1st or 2nd so he hadn't used all 15.
    peoples ignorance of the rules is unbelievable, i played with a guy today who took relief because an old hole was in the line of his putt towards the hole, problem is he was putting from 2 feet in the rough, i told him there's no relief form the rough that's T.S. but he didn't get it, i tried to explain it to him but he just wouldn't listen. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I would be almost certain that it's how many clubs you carry rather than use.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

it's in the bag not whether they are used or not, if you remember it cost woosnam quite badly a few years ago and he was only on the 1st or 2nd so he hadn't used all 15.

The rule is you can have more than 14 clubs in your bag but you must nominate which you are not going to use before you start your round. Woosnam didn't know he had 15 and didn't nominate one out which is why he was penalised. 100% certain of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

Dman_15 wrote:
    The rule is you can have more than 14 clubs in your bag but you must nominate which you are not going to use before you start your round. Woosnam didn't know he had 15 and didn't nominate one out which is why he was penalised. 100% certain of this.

Think this may clarify...

c. Excess Club Declared Out of Play
    Any club or clubs carried or used in breach of Rule 4-3a(iii) or Rule 4-4 must be declared out of play by the player to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play immediately upon discovery that a breach has occurred. The player must not use the club or clubs for the remainder of the stipulated round.
    Penalty For Breach Of Rule 4-4c:
    Disqualification.

so does that mean you could have used it for 10 or 11 holes but only when it's discovered do you nominate it out, that sounds a bit dodgy doesn't it.
    Dmans sounds more logical , but then if they're the rules,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

so does that mean you could have used it for 10 or 11 holes but only when it's discovered do you nominate it out, that sounds a bit dodgy doesn't it.
    Dmans sounds more logical , but then if they're the rules,

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer........on discovery of the extra club you are penalised two shots for any hole played up to 4 penalty strokes, and then you have to nominate which club you will not use for the remainder of the round

ah that sounds more like it, thanks for the clarification.

Advertisement