Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Free Banking

Options
  • 23-07-2006 9:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My graduate account with BOI is ending and BOI are going to put me onto a "pay as you go" account ie with charges.

I know they do "free" backing but the fact that they arent automatically putting me on the free banking account means I'm gona look for a bank that does free banking.

Only thing is I dont know a thing about banking.

All I know is that money goes into my account from work and I spend it quicker than it comes in via laser/credit card.

So I was wondering which is the best bank for free banking?

All I need it is for work to be able to pay into it and two direct debts. One for meteor phone bill and a credit card. I'd also like an over draft off €500. I'd also want a laser card.

Is it also a good idea to have a credit card at the same bank? At the moment I have a graduate credit card with BOI that runs out in 2010 so I might keep that!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm with NIB this last two years, never paid a cent in charges and that includes setting up direct debits, good online banking and never an issue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I got that letter as well.

If you use 365 online banking of telephone banking to pay a bill or transfer money you will receive free banking for a year.

You need to check the terms and conditions but BOI do free banking.

I found them:

To automatically qualify for transactions at the end of any quarter4, you must:

Keep a minimum credit balance of €500 in your account for the full quarter

OR

Make at least 3 payments from your current account using Bank of Ireland 365 online and / or phone in that quarter

This offer applies to Personal Current Accounts on our "Pay as You Go" and "Flat Fee" options and is effective from the quarter beginning May 22nd 2006. Your account must be open at the end of fee quarter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kluivert wrote:
    I got that letter as well.

If you use 365 online banking of telephone banking to pay a bill or transfer money you will receive free banking for a year.

You need to check the terms and conditions but BOI do free banking.

I found them:

To automatically qualify for transactions at the end of any quarter4, you must:

Keep a minimum credit balance of €500 in your account for the full quarter

OR

Make at least 3 payments from your current account using Bank of Ireland 365 online and / or phone in that quarter

This offer applies to Personal Current Accounts on our "Pay as You Go" and "Flat Fee" options and is effective from the quarter beginning May 22nd 2006. Your account must be open at the end of fee quarter.

Chacnes are I wouldnt have €500 in my account during the whole quater (I save my money else where) and I've only used the online stuff the pay credit card once or twice (usually do it to pay off a bill if I have a surplus) so I'm not sure if I would qualifiy for free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I got one of those letters too, after having a student account for quite a while. They must be kicking people off em left right and center. :)

AIB do something similar but I think you just have to have their laser card, might be handy seeing as you want one of those anyway.

Also afaik PTSB do free banking without any conditions. So the mobster fella in their ads says anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

skywalker wrote:
    I got one of those letters too, after having a student account for quite a while. They must be kicking people off em left right and center. :)

AIB do something similar but I think you just have to have their laser card, might be handy seeing as you want one of those anyway.

Also afaik PTSB do free banking without any conditions. So the mobster fella in their ads says anyway.

Was thinking of going to TSB. Have to find a branch near me that I can get to during office hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Use NIB myself, no charges once it is on credit. Very good on-line banking system. :)

I can recommend them, also when you visit the bank in person there are no queues and nothing is ever a problem.

Can't recommend them enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Same again NIB worked out very well , fairly good with all aspects-
    don't know why people pay AIB/BOI for their crap service

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Must admit that I banked with AIB in Ireland and found them very reliable, however I've become a bit more banking savvy since moving to the UK so always look for the best deal.

I haven't checked tehm out but NIB/Danske Bank are supposed to be good and considering that they are looking to attract as many customers as possible so they can expand and compete with the likes of AIB/BOI then they are likely to offer the best deals and their 'free' banking does appear to be free and relatively catch-free unlike the other banks. Seem like a good bet to me but check out their websites and do some comparisons!

Advertisement