Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creative writing courses?

Options
  • 23-07-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi All

First time posting here, just curious to know if any of you have taken courses in creative writing and if so is there any particular course you would recommend? I've always enjoyed writing but so far have only managed essays, like in school, but Ive this mad imagination that needs an outlet and although I feel my ideas are good getting them on paper has proved difficult and I would like some guidance to help me along with it. Ive been looking at distance learning courses as Im on maternity leave so I have the time to do it but I dont want to pay out 400 quid if theyre no good - any tips on how to write and have confidence in what ive written also appreciated as I always start out great then read what ive written and its just not what I have in my head so I chuck it out in case someone else reads it and thinks its crap!! silly i know but I would just love to write something and be proud of it instead of always feeling that I can do better!

any advice would be great! thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Well, I haven't taken any courses in writing or anything, so I'm afraid that I can't help you there.
    Jotter wrote:
    any tips on how to write and have confidence in what ive written also appreciated as I always start out great then read what ive written and its just not what I have in my head so I chuck it out in case someone else reads it and thinks its crap!! silly i know but I would just love to write something and be proud of it instead of always feeling that I can do better!

Not silly. I'm like that a lot. I write the first draft of a story and I think that it's great... then I read it again, and I get depressed. But then I look back at the story and think, "Now, if I change that around... and put that there, and add in this little bit... Hey, this ain't so bad now!"

So I re-draft the story and go over it until I'm proud (or fed up ;)) of it. And then I take the plunge and show it to someone. Here is a great place to post your stuff, if you want to. And if someone likes it, then that's great! I'll write another one, and hope that they enjoy that one too. And if someone hates it, then that's okay too. I'll just write a better story.

But you should always feel that you can write better. The day that you stop wanting to write better is the day you stop improving.

And don't give up! Giving up is the first step towards failure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SquareBear

My pennies worth of advice.
    Write every day, it's a craft, and like any craft you need to practice.
    The first draft should be 'unplugged', as in, do not prohibit yourself anything, just put it all down, don't edit as you write the first draft, you will have plenty of time to do that later.
    When you do write something you feel is 'there', only give it to a trusted friend to read, someone you know will give you a true response, not just...'oh, that's briliant, you're amazing'. Great, if that is the case, but you need constructive criticism.
    If I were you I'd contact your local library, if you have a good one, and check if there are any good writers groups, or creative writing classes organised by them. Or check community schools. Some libraries are really proactive about this, others not so. Probably best to do a beginners workshop/class.
    If you are not confident about reading your work, then the best place to gain confidence is in a creative writing class, where you would have to read your work, and get/give feedback.

I only recently did my first creative writing workshop, again like you the last time I wrote was in school/college. It was really fantastic, very constructive. I learned so much, all valuable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I did a weekend workshop in writing for theatre which was very good. A company called fishamble did it in Dublin and I found it great for confidence and practical exercises to get the pen rolling with ideas. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

thanks for the responses - wrote a bit the other nite & was surprised with how easily it all flowed out, Im due a baby in a few weeks and the piece I wrote was quite dark and a bit perverse so felt funny about having this innocent thing wriggling round inside while I wrote mad stuff so might try keep it a bit light hearted till babs arrives and I can write guilt free - strange I know but that be me !!!

Will deffo write as much as I can though bec I do feel more confident with it once I made the start - ill see how I get on and might look into courses if I feel im getting stuck again!

thanks again yall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭skateing dragon

I did a Creative Writing COurse down at my local library which was decent enough but i was 13 but im only 15 now so...! Just ask your local Community Center if you have one or a library they usually have stuff like that on during holidays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've not done one myself at any stage but, while my writing skills aren't anything extraordinary, they are decent - I'm a keen reader of books and I have been getting back into the swing of writing recently after a long break. My latest attempt turned out flat and dull, but with a few minor tweaks and the patience to allow it to take shape its getting alot better. Basically what I'm trying to say is the most important thing you really need is practice. And, this is a given, read lots of books. It sounds obvious but I have seen people trying to write pieces who have never really been reading people, generally apart from the odd exception it does not fare well. And its not just for skill and style, but inspiration too. I gave up reading at about 16 (I'm 18 now), and during said period my writing actually receeded behind even the stuff I wrote when I was about 15. I'm back to reading again regularly now and its reflected in my stuff. (well...some of it :D )

And I definately understand where you're coming from regarding reading your own writing: my suggestions, don't pass immediate judgement, at least, not for a few days. I can't begin to imagine how many times I wrote something, thought it was rubbish, but upon second reading and minor editing several days later it really took shape. Sometimes the addition of literally a handful of words to a large body to text can make all the difference between poor and excellent reading. Also don't be afraid to use this board as a sort of interactive writing class - never underestimate the contribution even the tinest of suggestions can make to an entire piece! Why not post something here and we can take a look at it and, if you don't mind taking pointers from other amateurs (:p ) we can tell you what we feel will add to your existing piece or how you can improve your style.

Good luck!

edit: hmmmm...kinda has made me feel like writing now! Should be working though...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mofa

Hi there, dont throw anything out as the best writers in the world have to rewrite thereso many times. read this book ' writers at work' The paris Review Interviews edited by Malcolm Cowley. I found it at my college libary. So if you are a student or you have a friend at college ask them to get it for you. I read most of the book already and I found it very inspireing. Its about an interviewer who interviews famous authors. Ask question about their life and how they come up with ideas. let me know how it goes. keep writing and dont throw anything out, as every idea and thought will pay off in the end.
    goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I have signed up for a couple of intensive 1-day workshops.

More info on www.inkwellwriters.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ciaranjnewman

I wanted to write and I just picked a topic I know a lot about and started to write.

The I published it free on Go Articles

I suppose the motivation od seeing people read my articles have kept me at it

Latest one is here - its called 100 Frightening Facts about Smoking, just put this link into you browser and have a look;

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=260373

Ciaran

Advertisement