Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

need help and advice with this

Options
  • 23-07-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im looking at a car an 1989 mx5 1.6 cc. 92,000k/km.im 19 and only recently hold my provisional licence and i currently dont have a car or have any history of driving one,what i want to know is first off how big a deal is the milage on a car,will the car breakdown reguarly because of it? the advert says its in very good condition.im also curious about my insurance,i will ring around tomorrow if i get a chance but for now i need someone to give me an in and around guess at what im looking at paying,thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mazdas don't break. The milage is irrelevent to the quote, as for a quote anything over 1 litre will by quite expensive for someone in your position.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any insurance company I've ever heard of won't insure you on an MX5 (and if they do it'll cost you more than the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

92k kilometres is nothing for a Mazda (or for any well-minded car). On the other hand, I'm assuming it's an import, which probably raises the chances of it's having been clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anan1 wrote:
    92k kilometres is nothing for a Mazda (or for any well-minded car). On the other hand, I'm assuming it's an import, which probably raises the chances of it's having been clocked.

the millage does smell a bit off alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Milage doesn't matter a jot with the Mx5, it could be 192K or 292K and it'd still be the same after a decent service. As long as it hasn't been run into the ground (you will spot that a mile away if it has been) it'll be fine - even if it has been clocked. Bullet-proof engines.

You could try brittons insurance - you'll have to call them as it's an import ({sarcasm] as opposed to the "irish" cars built up in termonfeckin [/sarcasm]). The do something similar to the hibernian "ignition" course, iirc.

The only thing to be careful of is the fact that it has a short nosed crank (if it's an '89) - these can cause engine failure if the timing belt isn't changed correctly (see here http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html)

M.

• Advertisement
Advertisement