Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf or a3?

Options
  • 22-07-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks, looking at trading in my almera for either a 1.4 golf or a 1.6 a3. I wasa looking at either on 04 or 05. I prefer the 05 a3, with the chrome grill, looks alot better. I know the golf retains its value alot more, of which ive researched anyway. Im 24, and my almera is only a few months old.

Any ideas would be great!

aNtOdEcO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd pick the A3 myself. They've great residuals too anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Golf and A3 are the same car underneath using the same engines and running gear. So it really boils down to how much money you are prepared to spend and which one you like best.

Which ever you go for avoid the 1.6 litre 8 valve engine version as this engine dates back to the early 1990s and for the money VW are charging for the A3 and Golf these days this engine is unacceptable. The best engine to go for is either the TDi or the 1.6 FSi.

I'm not a big fan of either but given the choice I would go for a higher spec Golf with either the TDi or FSi engine and still have change left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Both are great cars. Personally, I'd go for the A3 - a tighter car all round - but not by much.

Both have great residuals so depreciation shouldn't be an issue.

Remember that accessories don't retain their value like the car itself - but they are nice to have (comfort factor) and do make the car more saleable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What bazz said but an '05 A3 1.6 is going to set you back a good bit more than an '04 Golf 1.4

You didn't state what you would like in your next car. Both above cars are very much middle-of-the-road, as in A to B vehicles with a little bit of peer image for young fellas with baseball caps (Golf) or a little bit of style (A3)
    antodeco wrote:
    my almera is only a few months old

Another middle-of-the-road vehicle which doesn't even have either perceived quality mentioned above

Sit yourself down, antodeco and think about this again. You'll be lucky to sell your Almera for 20% less than what you paid for it a few months ago. And what are you replacing it with? Could you answer this: what were your reasons for buying a brand new Almera a few months ago and what changed your mind since?

Unless you won it in the local bingo :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have an '05 1.4 Golf and find the engine very underpowered especially during overtaking or motorway driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A3 is not available in 1.4. But even the 1.6 is a wee bit underpowered.

TDI is the best option, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another did you look at the Skoda Octavia alternative suggestion but here goes anyway.

You'd probably get a better trade in allowance against the Octavia or even a Seat Leon (which are also based on the A3, Golf). VW or Audi dealers will be looking down their noses at your Almera and give the impression they are doing you a great favour. Not the nicest people to deal with from a sales and service point of view in my experience.

You might be better off selling the Almera privately and then walking in with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It has to be golf and not the plus or comfortline. Yes the have the additional extras but they add on alot to the price of the car. The 1.6 would be one i would go for. The audi is nice but doesnt appeal to me, it seem more like a company car type. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If your Almera is an 06, I can't see it being worth much more than 15-15.5 grand. Nobody wants them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The A3 has a far nicer interior - the bit you have to look at all the time don't forget.

I've owned a MKII A3 and two MKV Golfs and the interior on the Golf bar the GTI is awful.

DO NOT (I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH) go for the old 1.6 engine in the A3. If it's not an FSI, walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

unkel wrote:
    Could you answer this: what were your reasons for buying a brand new Almera a few months ago and what changed your mind since?

Unless you won it in the local bingo :D

I got it as part of the double take offer. Main reason I got it in the first place, was i was getting a new car anyway, and my circumstances at the time meant i would be doing alot of mileage in a short space of time. I came to the conclusion that if I can get a brand new car, use of alod of mileage and give it back in a year to get a new one, its a win win situation. The reason im trying to "dump" the 06 model is, as rightly pointed out, the depreciation on nissans is ridiculous. I can get rid of it now for 15k - 17k (different quotes I got), or wait a year and Ill be lucky to get 12k -15k. I want to cut my losses now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Stick it up on Carzone.. a VW/Audi dealer will not want a Nissan and the price they offer you for it will reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

antodeco wrote:
    I can get rid of it now for 15k - 17k (different quotes I got), or wait a year and Ill be lucky to get 12k -15k. I want to cut my losses now!

Anything you replace it with will loose a minimum of 3k/yr anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

A3 for me, far nicer car and your abit differnet than everyone else on the road that has one, cousin had golf but it was the 1.9 and I never liked. Drove the 1.6 once and hated it. GF had the A3 1.6 and it was lovely, got UK import with all extra and it was a lovely car, she just sold because off to Oz and she hated selling it, is buying one when she gets back loved it so much. They are a great car but abit small for me. Like the larger Passat myself

Nobody in their right mind will buy an 06 Almera with mileage when the dealers are doing anything they can to sell their pre-reg zero mileage cars, ex rental 06's and last years 05 rentals.

If you can get 17,000 for it, take it, as long as the car you're buying isn't ridiculously priced. given the cars you're looking at, they probably are. but that's another days work!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Antodeco, next time you have some money to burn, will you just give me a couple o' grand instead? :D

I'd appreciate it and you won't have the hassle of buying/selling cars either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd have the A3 as the old model golf was still round in 04 and with windy windows too. ugghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

bazz26 wrote:
    Another did you look at the Skoda Octavia alternative suggestion but here goes anyway.

You'd probably get a better trade in allowance against the Octavia or even a Seat Leon (which are also based on the A3, Golf). VW or Audi dealers will be looking down their noses at your Almera and give the impression they are doing you a great favour. Not the nicest people to deal with from a sales and service point of view in my experience.

You might be better off selling the Almera privately and then walking in with cash.

I have a VW 1.4 Golf and find it to be quite sluggish when driving on the motor ways and over taking when it is safe to do so;) I would probably advise you to take a look at the Skoda Octaiva like Bazz26 has suggested, not a bad car and also worth a look at.

If you were to go for a golf, then i would say go for the TDI version. How much were you thinking of spending when you trade in your old car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have an 05 A3, lovely car, comfortable and stylish inside. Try get the Ambition model if you can.

The 1.6 is a little underpowered, but it's perfectly fine. It gets up to motorway speed comfortably and is handy around town.

The FSi engine is in the A3 sportback, but that's also a 5 door.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

thanks guys for all your input. Ive been looking at an 05 hyundai coupe too. Im just looking for something a little less run of the mill really, without spending too much cash.

• Advertisement

Hyundai Coupes are decent cars, not exactly quick, but cheap enough new, and hold good second hand values as they have a bit of a following in Ireland.
    Go for the upgraded 05 model with 1/2 leather and new type headlamps.

Advertisement