Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cant decide which bmw?

Options
  • 22-07-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Can anyone sway my thinking on this. In the market for a bmw 318 coupe. I can either go for a 98 which is fully kitted out and done up with everything, or bring up the years and shape, and go for a basic 2000. I know the 2000 is the wiser choice and will be easier to get rid of, but it'll prob cost me another 2k to do it up. The 98 is the older shape, but is gorgeous inside. Ya gotta think long term with these things though dont ya? Also, anyone ever dealt with russians or eastern europeans? Surely if the paperwork is filled out everythings genuine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

How do you mean kitted out and done up? M Kit or just a stander bodykit?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Be very careful importing from Eastern Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

mkit, spoilers, lights, leather int., dvd players, alloys, all that stuff. or try pick up a 2000 for a few dollars more and get 17's, clear lights, and maybe a spoiler. How much you rekon all that would cost?

Well they dont hold any value....Why bother with all that stuff anyway? Waste of money... Apart from the Mkit(if its a genuine one)/Leather int.. Why buy from russia/Eastern European anyway? How much are they anyhow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Theres a guy selling one here from that neck of the woods. The car is irish I think. Bout 10 g's for the 98 fully modded, or 14-15 for a 2000 basic. You dont think they hold their value?In other words you reckon the newer the better.?

• Advertisement

Right well you can get a 00 e46 318i for less that 14-15 anyway have a look on Carzone...You can pick one up for about 11 k give or take...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

awishawash wrote:
    Also, anyone ever dealt with russians or eastern europeans? Surely if the paperwork is filled out everythings genuine?
    RUN AWAY....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

Lex Luthor wrote:
    RUN AWAY....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm eastern european! Is anything wrong with me? :eek: :confused: :cool:

qazz wrote:
    I'm eastern european! Is anything wrong with me? :eek: :confused: :cool:
    Don't take it personal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

awishawash wrote:
    mkit, spoilers, lights, leather int., dvd players, alloys, all that stuff. or try pick up a 2000 for a few dollars more and get 17's, clear lights, and maybe a spoiler. How much you rekon all that would cost?

if you buy one with a whole load of tat u'll never sell it

a genuine mtech kit, genuine bmw 17/18" rims and leather are all u need, no lexus lights etc

and of course they hold there value, if they didnt why are people paying 10-11k for a 98 318is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Don't take it personal ;)

This is a little off the OP but I hate this stuff and it shouldn't be allowed go without approach.

Well this is very unsatisfactory, I think Qazz and any East European person rightly deserves a better explaination for your original post and also for your meek dismissive reply to his reaction. Unless you have had several bad experiences (which might explain your standpoint) which you should share with the boards otherwise one could rightly misinterpret your comment to be racist, in which case it should be withdrawn and an apology posted instead.

Yes - negative comment aimed at a specific group, is prejudicial and with no fundamental argument to back it up is racism. Hope I'm not being too personal here, but I know and work with East Europeans and if anything distinguishes them from us, is that they're very well educated, polite and most careful with what they say. Are they all like that, of course not, like we're not all like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

colm_mcm wrote:
    Be very careful importing from Eastern Europe

I know where you're coming from, but the better advice should be "be careful importing". Additional paperwork, checking car history, vendor bona fides etc etc can all be made more complicated with a language barrier.

Fraud and crookery exists everywhere and it is not language dependent.

This is a little off the OP but I hate this stuff and it shouldn't be allowed go without approach.

Well this is very unsatisfactory, I think Qazz and any East European person rightly deserves a better explaination for your original post and also for your meek dismissive reply to his reaction. Unless you have had several bad experiences (which might explain your standpoint) which you should share with the boards otherwise one could rightly misinterpret your comment to be racist, in which case it should be withdrawn and an apology posted instead.

Yes - negative comment aimed at a specific group, is prejudicial and with no fundamental argument to back it up is racism. Hope I'm not being too personal here, but I know and work with East Europeans and if anything distinguishes them from us, is that they're very well educated, polite and most careful with what they say. Are they all like that, of course not, like we're not all like you!
    What are you? A moderator?

My comment was based more on the fact that he assumed if the "paperworks filled out everythings in order", that it was genuine....why would he think that, if he/she has doubts?

Its like buying any car used....if you have any doubt about it, no matter how small....RUN AWAY..!!!

There was nothing racist in my posts...so stop trying to stir something here that is off topic.

If the OP has any doubts about the paperwork, then he should think long & hard about the car, no matter how much he likes it.

If I was to pass a similar comment about an Irish dealer on the Naas Rd., would I be considered racist against Irish also?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know where you're coming from, but the better advice should be "be careful importing". Additional paperwork, checking car history, vendor bona fides etc etc can all be made more complicated with a language barrier.

Fraud and crookery exists everywhere and it is not language dependent.

My comment concerns not only possible pitfalls when buying, ie. verifying service history and ownership -but the issue of paying VRT, and trying to resell a left hooker over here. Seems to be more cons than pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Not sure what yout priorities are? Performance / resale value / running costs etc, but id ideally go for and E36 318is with full service history & unmodded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

for me e36 is the best looking BMW 3 series. Both saloon and coupe.

Advertisement