Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on an 1999 Opel Corsa

Options
  • 21-07-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I've been checking through the boards before I posted but I was looking for some advice from you who seem to know a lot more than I do.

It's my first car, 1 litre engine. I'm 20. The mileage is quite high for a 99 (115,000 miles on the clock) but the car is great. NCT til 02/07.

I was thinking of going with Quinn direct.. anyone have any advice?

How much would I be looking to pay (rough average is fine) for insurance w/ full irish / or provisional irish license?

Help is seriously appreciated.....

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

funkyflea wrote:
    I was thinking of going with Quinn direct.. anyone have any advice?

How much would I be looking to pay (rough average is fine) for insurance w/ full irish / or provisional irish license?

Help is seriously appreciated.....

thanks.

Have you tried phoning them for a quote? In my experience, it's the best way to find out how much they'll charge you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Phoning them in the morning if their offices are open! @ Anan1

Cheers for the link gyppo.

funkyflea wrote:
    Phoning them in the morning if their offices are open! @ Anan1

Cheers for the link gyppo.

I think most of the big ones will be open tomorrow morning. The only advice I can give you is to ring everyone. Don't forget to try the company/ies your parents are with too, and brokers. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I was with them last year ,after 9 years with FBD them came in with a quote 250 (33%)below FBD ,only problem is they don't offer windscreen cover, went back to FBD this year after they matched the quote, try Hibernian, with there ingnition test can save you a lot more than it costs.

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard about that ignition course. I have heard of lads my age paying €3,500 on cars like this and some paying €1500, it's frightening actually thats why I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation..

Anyone know if the high mileage will affect my insurance (ie push the premium higher)?

Also, its only got a casette player. Was looking at Halfords brochure, they have ipod connections and stuff but I've a 20GBcreative zen, wondering if there was any way I could hook it up on the dash?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You just need a 3.5mm jack going into the aux connector on the radio.

Also, I'm 22 on a provisional and I was quoted €2500 on a 95 1.3L Mitsubishi Mirage so I would imagine a 99 1L Corsa to be similar. You can get an online quote at www.quinn-direct.com too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I think it the car is over 10 years old it is loaded, also the mirage is an import and they are also loaded extra, so it whould be cheaper ,but this all depends upon location ,age ,and all the other questions they ask, try the online quote I found it to be accurate with quinn, when I was with them, as for the others this is not so as they always add on a little saying that the online does not include this that and the other.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I found Quinn to be the same on a range of 1l cars like the Ibiza, Polo or Corsa. Usually in the €2000-2500 range.

• Advertisement

I'll definitely be trying online and calling them then to see the difference, cheers for the help guys. REALLY appreciate it as I'm pretty much learning this insurance business on my own.

Oh yeah, I got some pics too this evening..

Check the attachments. The door on the drivers side was replaced due to dents but you'd never notice, must get a pic of it up.

€2900

funkyflea wrote:
    Anyone know if the high mileage will affect my insurance (ie push the premium higher)?

I'm almost absolutely sure it won't.

Cool, thanks.

Quinn-direct.ie quoted me €1,861.44 3rd party fire and theft.

Going to get on the phone now and see what they say.

Update: Same on the phone...

funkyflea wrote:
    Cool, thanks.

Quinn-direct.ie quoted me €1,861.44 3rd party fire and theft.

Going to get on the phone now and see what they say.

Update: Same on the phone...

That doesn't sound bad to me. Make sure to get a reference number for any quote that sounds good, and ask them to send you the quote by post. I wouldn't run away with this, but it is not unknown for insurance companies to make mistakes, quote too low, and then subsequently try to avoid honouring the quote. If you have it in writing then they'll almost always go through with it. Keep ringing around!

Oh I got a reference number this morning so I'm safe enough. I also got one from online.

The highest I've been quoted was €4500!

Are the driver theory test centres open on Saturdays? I need to book one and my only time off work is saturday..

EDIT: Nevermind, booked it for a tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My other half has a '98 Corsa, although the mileage is only 45,000

The engines seem pretty tough. No timing belt, there is a camchain but it should last the life of the engine. Major gotcha with some cars is buying one which is due for a €300 or €400 cambelt job.

The mileage is undoubtedly high for the age (most of these cars get mild use) so be sure to get a full service history (OK fat chance. In other words, walk away, you will get a low mileage car for the same or less money without even trying.)

Plenty of them around, they're good cars for city (or even open road) use but with that mileage I'd want cast-iron reassurance about the frequency of oil changes - which in this country you're pretty unlikely to get.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I(well my mam) got a quote for me on mine 00 1.0l Corsa (with CD and elec though) of €1860 fully comp with Hibernian through Munster Group in Kilrush.
    19 - No experience - Full Irish - 13 lessons and a threat to remove existing business.

In the end she went main at €1315 since her car had to go to pay for it anyway, and that way she got a holiday out of it too and she has it half the time anyway!!!

That was back in March though, with the amount of death on the roads I'd say it's been hiked.

I was just talking to a girl at work today her friend crashed a new integra over the weekend, him and two girls in hospital, car is decimated, seen pics.

I'm going to get the car this week, balls to it. I haven't found any corsas that year and in that condition as cheap as that in wexford.. plus I'm in a hurry. :P

EDIT: Britononline wouldn't let me insure a car over 6 years old!! Why?? (1999 didn't exist on the drop down list)

• Advertisement
Advertisement