Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core duo or Core2Duo

Options
  • 21-07-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between these two? is a core2duo just much more powerful? or is it more complicated than that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Lots of architecture differences.

The most important difference is probably that the Core Duo 2 supports 64EMT whereas the Core Duo doesn't. Simply put, the Core Duo 2 would be regarded as a 64-bit processor whereas the Core Duo wouldn't be. Should be significantly less power-hungry as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

And would the Core Duo 2 be available on many laptops? Have been looking around for a laptop lately and don't remember seeing it in the specs. Maybe I did and just mistook it for a Core Duo, cos until now, I didn't even know there was a Core duo 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Dell could possibly release Merom onto their most expensive and profitable laptops
    first. Try and squeeze some money out of the early adapters. But I hope they are
    as regular a sighting as the current dual cores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

Ya'd probably be paying through the nose for them for the first while though, yeah? Think I might just go ahead and get one with the Core Duo. Would there really be much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Originally Posted by ******
    From what I've read the Core 2 Duo doesn't improve greatly over the Core Duo. I guess that's probably why websites cover Conroe more than Merom.

well, it all depends on what you want to do. Core 2 duo offers the most benefit in video/audio encoding and editing, well offering very little in games and office related tasks.

However, if you want that sweet 64bit ubuntu OS running on your computer (or any other 64 bit os), then you will need it or an turion 64.
    wait until you see a review pairing a core 2 merom with a good video card like a 7900. I love mine. smooth sailing. Fast as hell in windows.

if you compile visual studio it will be your best friend.

it is faster than an overclocked fx-62 (super pi ).

i'm also noticing not only average fps, but MUCH higher minimum fps. Merom and 2gb ram took the chop out of oblivion for me.

I found these posts off another forum regarding a PC which has been upgraded
    with the core 2 duo.

He went from a 1.83ghz Core Duo t2400 to merom 2.16ghz core 2 duo. The
    ghz upgrade alone would be easy to feel the difference in oblivion. He also got
    a 4 fps boost in half-life Lost coast at 1920x1200 hdr 74.23 fps .

Hope that helps in some way. :-) Ill be waiting a few weeks until I really have
    to order a laptop. Dell rebate has 80euro off at the moment I think. That almost
    tempted me into getting one now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Toy

An article about Dell and Merom here. Based on that I'd say we'll see the first Core 2 laptops available next month but it'll probably only be the higher clocked ones to begin with.

It would be possible however to upgrade any Core (Yonah) laptop with Merom, although if you can afford to wait then it'd be best to wait for laptops with motherboards designed specifically for Merom.

Advertisement