Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dell Laptop with No XP CD included

Options
  • 21-07-2006 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I recently bought a brand new inspirion off dell with Windows XP sp2.

To my amazement when I opened the packaging there was no XP CD included.

Apparently Dell now have this new restore utility that runs from the BIOS. A copy of the software resides somewhere in a hidden part of the Hard Drive!

Well I got in touch with Tech Support and they said that they would send out a CD with no extra charge. I asked him why did I not receive a CD and he stated that Dell now have a reduced Media Policy.

Anywho just wanted to warn anyone who wants to buy a new Dell to make sure they specify the CD before they buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

I think you are given the option to purchase them when you are configuring your laptop....costs about €5 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think I just got a 2 restore CDs with mine, applications and OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

From what I remember there was no option to get the XP CD when buying. Could be wrong though

There was an option for the Dell Driver CD for an extra €6

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is there an option to burn your own set of disks (from the recovery partition)?
    I've looked on Dell's webshite/forums but can't seem to get a straight answer. Other manufacturers provide an option to burn a few DVDs or CDs.

Failing that, can the OP purchase disks now?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's usually an option when buying the machine, to buy the media with it. It's not selected by default, and may not be present for XP Home or cheaper machines.

What you can do is download the Video, LAN/Wireless, modem and audio drivers from the Dell website, find a mate who has a copy of the OEM version of the XP CD, then download nlite and create your own XP CD for your machine.

• Advertisement

I rang tech support and said i received no disc

They said they would sent one straight away with no extra charge

ill let you know if i get them

Karoma wrote:
    Is there an option to burn your own set of disks (from the recovery partition)?
    I've looked on Dell's webshite/forums but can't seem to get a straight answer. Other manufacturers provide an option to burn a few DVDs or CDs.

Failing that, can the OP purchase disks now?

Thanks.

No option from what i can tell to burn a cd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

No option from what i can tell to burn a cd

There is actually the option to burn the OS CD on new Dell computers that don't come with a CD. It is under Programs in your Start Menu. Look for Dell Accessories and it is in that menu along with a Driver Reset Tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

1) Even the cheapest Dell Desktop has the option to buy the XP install CD. It's the second option after the processor choices and is quite visible. So people who don't see it or don't bother choosing it have only themselves to blame. (see attached pic).

2) It's possible to make a Windows XP CD from the files on your machine in a lot of cases. Read this

3) Some Dell systems (shipped between April 2005 and Feb 2006) allow you create a Windows XP CD. Read this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dell have been doing this for a while. I still can't understand why you have to pay for the CDs when you are ording a system when you can ring up and get them free afterwards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement