Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what are legal requirements of trailer lights?

Options
  • 21-07-2006 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

hey folks,

I'm going to be towing a motorcycle on a dedicated motorcycle trailer which is basically a narrow beam mounted onto an axle.

From memory i belive that if a trailer is greater than 3 feet wide then you must install towing lights on the trailer. The bike is narrower than this and my car lights should be clearly visable from the rear so i'm assuming i'm not legally required to put on lights. But, I'm not sure if I it was UK or irish requirements that i'm remembering (or if they are the same) so I'm trying to find out what exactly the legal requirements are here in Ireland?

any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You need to fit red rear lights and reflectors to the trailer, even though you vehicle lights are visible. You must also fit a number plate if your car's plate is obscured (even partially).

Personally, I would'nt take any chances. I would fit brake lights and indicators to the trailer (plus reflectors and plate).
    Don't give any other driver an excuse to put you in the wrong if they run into your trailer (or any guard a reason to stop you) !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

fit them anyway - you can buy a pre-wired and socketed trailer-board fairly cheap in most motor factors, and bolt it onto the trailer.

Why take any chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fey! wrote:
    fit them anyway - you can buy a pre-wired and socketed trailer-board fairly cheap in most motor factors, and bolt it onto the trailer.

Why take any chances?
    Fey, do you have a hitch on the E39? I'm thinking of putting one on mine but I was talking to a guy with an E46 and he said he needs an expensive adaptor between the trailer lights and the LCM on the car. Is it the same with the E39 or do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hey folks,

I'm going to be towing a motorcycle on a dedicated motorcycle trailer which is basically a narrow beam mounted onto an axle.

From memory i belive that if a trailer is greater than 3 feet wide then you must install towing lights on the trailer. The bike is narrower than this and my car lights should be clearly visable from the rear so i'm assuming i'm not legally required to put on lights. But, I'm not sure if I it was UK or irish requirements that i'm remembering (or if they are the same) so I'm trying to find out what exactly the legal requirements are here in Ireland?

any information would be appreciated.

You could try the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 but it's heavy going.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI189Y1963.html

(Make sure you have a BE licence.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Lex - I don't have a hitch myself, but keep an eye here:

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=32202&PN=1&TPN=1&get=last#295794

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement