Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

breathalyzers

Options
  • 21-07-2006 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

So, Anyone you know of get pulled last night for a random breath test?

The reason I created this thread is because this morning I heard on the Radio that a "random guard" had texted in the station to say they didn't even have breathalyzers in their station and that most guards don't carry them? Another said he didn't even know this law came into effect last night.

So does this mean McDowell has been spouting crap again by bringing in a law and not training/equiping the Guards effectively?

As usual Ireland doing things in halves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

No sign as any Gardas in the town I live in, however if yo go out in Monaghan town you can be stopped at least twice on your way home.

This should be nationwide not just at random spots

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Met a checkpiont in Churchtown last night about 12.45am about 1 minute after telling my gf there are no checkpionts anywhere. The guard didn't even walk around to the driver's side of the car just checked the tax ins nct and waved me on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

they are training in at the moment. and they are not going to be issued to every guard but rather every patrol car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

drove by about 9 pubs on way home last night.
    no checkpoints, none even in the usual locations for weekend checkpoints.

another unenforceable threat from the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

According to the news this morning they should be out in force at the local pubs Saturday/Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Out in force, eh? I wonder how they define that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

With each cop car they could only at most arrest 3 people as that's all their car will hold or can they only arrest one person and then bring them back to the station to process before they can arrest another person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

They can only arrest 1 as detainees could attack each other in the back of the car,etc and they
    have to get them back to the station as quickly as possible to get the official test done anyway, before the person starts to sober up. It's on the basis of the latter (blood or urine) sample that one is prosecuted i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

No it's not.. They use the 'intoxaliser' results. If you refuse to give a breath test, they can"force" you to give a blood or urine sample.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eh... wrong board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

pete4king wrote:
    Hows it going? my friends taking up surfing and looking for a good starter board anything considered....Thanks.....
    And the award for the most off-topic post in the history of Boards goes to....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

pete4king wrote:
    Hows it going? my friends taking up surfing and looking for a good starter board anything considered....Thanks.....
    Aw that post gave me a great laugh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

NeMiSiS wrote:
    No it's not.. They use the 'intoxaliser' results. If you refuse to give a breath test, they can"force" you to give a blood or urine sample.

TK

not exactly right either,
    the way it goes is you get the road side test, to determine if you could have enough to be over, then you go and get the intoxilizer done where you blow into the big machine and it gives a print out......., Now, if you refuse, thats it, its as good as if you gave it and failed so theres no need to force anyone into giving samples. If you cant give the sample, ie you have asmah or whatever and could blow for the length of time requred then you are given the option to give blood or urine, if you cant give one you must give the other. again if you refuse there is no need to force as its as good in court as if you did give and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

pete4king wrote:

www.boards.co.uk : /

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

NeMiSiS wrote:

TK

And if you're a Haemophiliac with renal failure? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

can you be done for "drunk in charge of a surfboard"??

:D:D:D

i reckon theyll have a mariah doing shuttle runs up to the station all night.
    either that or theyll take your keys and tell you to fook off.

any garda on here that wants to enlighten us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

subway wrote:
    i reckon theyll have a mariah doing shuttle runs up to the station all night.

If they enforce this seriously, I reckon they'll need a fleet of them. I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Hobbes wrote:
    According to the news this morning they should be out in force at the local pubs Saturday/Sunday.

The good auld overtime run... :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

I dont care how much money they make so long as something is done to get these wan ker drivers off the road. Did anyone hear the 106 interviews yesterday afternoon, shocking.

I dont care if I have to blow into 5 bags a night so long as I get to see the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

sirpsycho wrote:

Which would you prefer; pay some overtime or have a higher chance of being taken out by a drunk driver?

I've been hit by one, which means that I walk funny when the weather changes. And I'm one of the lucky ones.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sirpsycho wrote:
    Isn't there a limit on garda overtime?
    Anyhow, if they enforce this properly, it should be self funding. Furthermore, if they prevent one death they will save the state a fortune - seemingly each fatality costs the state about €1million to sort out (although I think I heard recently its about €4m)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

kbannon wrote:
    Isn't there a limit on garda overtime?
    Anyhow, if they enforce this properly, it should be self funding. Furthermore, if they prevent one death they will save the state a fortune - seemingly each fatality costs the state about €1million to sort out (although I think I heard recently its about €4m)

Up to €4 million?? What do you mean by "to sort out".... you mean in advertising campaigns so the same thing doesn't happen again?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

YeAh! wrote:
    Up to €4 million?? What do you mean by "to sort out".... you mean in advertising campaigns so the same thing doesn't happen again?
    I don't recall where I heard the 4 million which is why I referred to the 1 million first. This seemingly is the cost to 'clean up' after a fatal incident.
    Think of all the resources involved - gardai, ambulance, fire sercices, tow trucks, accident investigators, repairs to incident area by local authorities, etc. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know what the actual figure is, but I'd say you mean the so called "cost to society"

While cleaning up the accident is part of that cost, the big factor are the follow-ons. That dead individual would normally have continued to contribute to society, paid taxes, created revenue and so on.
    Instead now there is a widows/widowers pension to pay, possibly child support, etc.

no checkpoints last night either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There was a checkpoint last night when you come off the N4 at liffey valley heading past the centre or around there.. probably near the Arc.
    My mom was on her way back from my grandmothers 80th in the spa and was stopped. She does not drink often anyway and since she was driving she had nothing bot orange juice :D
    She said the beangarda was very nice to her and it was all good and she drove on home.

Im glad it is happening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gyppo wrote:
    can you be done for "drunk in charge of a surfboard"??

:D:D:D

You can get done for being drunk in charge of a bicycle - used to be a £50 fine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

NeMiSiS wrote:

TK
    Never heard of this before, they can't "force" you to give a sample. If you refuse to give as sample you are guity of an offence and the penalty on convictionb is equal or very similar to having done the test & failed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

One of my friends rang me last night say it was about 11.30 he got pulled for a Random Breathalyzer Test... They gave him the tube when they were finished.

Advertisement