Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf TDI question

Options
  • 21-07-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Been looking around for TDI 110 and 130s recently, but one thing I've noticed that's starting to annoy me.

In the photos of these cars, I've seen a TDI, which I thought was 130, but when I rang the guy it was only 110.

At the moment I'm looking at two photos of different Golfs, which are both just TDI, but are listed as 110bhp. Aren't the ordinary TDIs only 90bhp?

I realise that folks might buy the 90bhp and then just get the red badges to look cooler, but it's annoying when you're trying to find a certain model and everything looks different from everything else.

Does anyone have the facts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The problem is that people are switching the badges on them now. Only way to know for sure is to check the engine code in the spare wheelwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Jaeger wrote:
    Does anyone have the facts on this?

The fact is you should look at the registration papers rather than the shiny badge on the boot, which can be changed by buying a different one on ebay.

VW were less that consistent anyway with what badges they fitted, indeed the badges may have been fitted by dealers which would go some way to explaining the confusion.

Originally the TDI 90 had a silver badge, the TDI 110 a red "i" and the TDI 130 a red "di". Things started getting messy though when the PD engines were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

In a similar vein, anyone notice on carzone the amount of cars that are advertised as being something they're not.

Eg; Stating in the title that the car is a mondeo zetec, while when you look at the accompanying pics, it clearly isnt. This is an example:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=467415

Zetecs come with alloys as standard, not plastic wheel trims (Which these appear to be in the example above).

Bit of a piss-off if you travelled a distance to look at a car.

Sorry for deviating off original topic, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

maidhc wrote:
    Originally the TDI 90 had a silver badge, the TDI 110 a red "i" and the TDI 130 a red "di". Things started getting messy though when the PD engines were introduced.
    I was wondering why the 110s would only have the silver badges, who would go out of their way to put a badge on their car that showed it was less powerful like.

But that may have something to do with my next question. PD engines?

Exactly gyppo. One Golf I looked at, advertised by a dealership, stated 130bhp, and also showed a closeup picture of the TDI, but when I phoned about it, it turned out it was only 100. If I'd driven the 3 hours to go look at it, it probably would've turned out to be a 1.4 Polo or something. Tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

from memory this is the way things went..

There is the original Tdi was 90bhp (all silver) and then the TDi was 110bhp which was the pre-PD engine five speed gear box,Then they got rid of the 110 and replaced it with the TDi 115 then they replaced the 115 with the 130 TDi and then came out with a new 150TDi .

Hope that helps...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Topic has been talked to death here, try the search for more info.:cool:

Jaeger wrote:
    But that may have something to do with my next question. PD engines?

The PD engines came out in about 2001. Instead of using a normal diesel pump like the non pumpe duse, they had a high pressure pump integrated into each injector and a lift pump to deliver the fuel, in Detroit Diesel style. If an injector fails you are a very poor person. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

All VWs have the Bhp listed on the log book, even my sisters 1.2 polo has it listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Grand job, thanks for the info folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MR TR

Jaeger wrote:
    Been looking around for TDI 110 and 130s recently, but one thing I've noticed that's starting to annoy me.

Before you buy a Golf, testdrive a 2000/2001 320D. I've driven most Pd's and the 320d is the one I bought. My example only has 136Bhp. They are more reliable than anything VAG have made. Only uses 0w30 Castrol Edge oil for the oil changes though. People keep on chipping the Golfs. You don't need to chip a 320d.

Regards,

Geoff.

Ps there's a great saving buying a 320d in the uk. I saved 3k by bringing it in from the uk, for a fully loaded Touring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Topic has been talked to death here, try the search for more info.:cool:

Why bother reading it then? if the guy wants to ask it then so be it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

To add to the confusion, There seems to be a batch of 05 Passats registered as 110BHP on the books which they are, But driving around on Complete Silver TDI Badges. This includes my dads, He got his down in Waterford from a garage which had a huge batch of them there from what we notcied but yeah on paper its still 110 BHP motor. I found it rather strange.

Hj

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Drive them and you will know if they are 130 bhp,trust me :)

HungryJoey wrote:
    To add to the confusion, There seems to be a batch of 05 Passats registered as 110BHP on the books which they are, But driving around on Complete Silver TDI Badges. This includes my dads, He got his down in Waterford from a garage which had a huge batch of them there from what we notcied but yeah on paper its still 110 BHP motor. I found it rather strange.

Hj

Old shape?

The entry level 1.9 TDI has been ~105bhp for a while now, the 110 is long gone. The 105bhp, as I said, is the entry level, and as such has all an all silver badge.

All the badges on the new VWs are silver. Thanks be to god.

Advertisement