Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Pooling

Options
  • 21-07-2006 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Check out site in build:

www.carpool.ie

Excellent idea, I would take 2 cars off the road if I could by taking 2 extra passengers and it would be great to use the bus lane, similar to areas in the US.

There really are TOO many 1 passenger cars out there due to laziness.
    we got rid of our 2nd car and the savings are huge! I do end up on the bus ( the luas leg I do not dislaike ) a handful of times a month and as much as I hate it, the benefit far out weighs my impatience of public transport.
    I get chauffeur driven half the time!

When shall the N side be blessed with such a basic ammenity!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I doubt the government will open bus lanes to vehicles with 2 people or more... everyone would use them negating the bus lane in the first place.
    Although carpooling is a good idea. There was actually a forum on boards a while back i think.. it was for getting in contact with people to carpool with.

Oh and i would not say 1 passenger cars are due to laziness.. they are due to the fact public transport may not be an option... hell a lot of people have to use their car for work like reps etc so its not simply a case of anyone driving without a passenger is lazy.
    When shall the N side be blessed with such a basic ammenity!
    what ammenity are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not to mention that pretty much everywhere outside Dublin has no local public transport, just buses and trains to dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Ammenity? The Luas I referred to.

A lot of the 1 passenger cars IS due to laziness. I drop the GF to the office in D2 on my way to Sandyford from Santry every day.
    She is an estate agent and needs a car for viewings etc some days. Those days we drive in to town she keeps tha car and I take a luas on to Sandyford. Unfortunately most times she will head straight home from the viewings and I will have 15 min walk to Luas, then to stephens green then walk to Abbey street, then bus to Snatry woods then 10 mins walk home.
    It sucks and only for the current light traffic I would go mad. Public trans[port ( as above no matter how sh*t is always an option) but people decide to incur an extra 10-20K a year on an extra car to avoid these situations. Its basically working to get to work for some people!
    It may happen 3/4/5 times a month but the impact is minimised if we plan things ( ie a bit of effort ) out.
    Id say there are plenty of other people who would use the above scenario to 100% warrant a 2nd car.
    At the end of the day we are much better off financially for it as I traded in my Co. Car for car allowance so basically we have no motoring costs, a saving on last year of about 15K ( tax, ins , fuel, car, upkeep etc etc ).

Advertisement