Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barr Report

Options
  • 21-07-2006 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

"Having finally received the truth behind their brother’s death, the family called for the officers responsible to be held to account and justice to be done.

The 744-page report of Mr Justice Robert Barr detailed an appalling litany of errors by commanding officers which resulted in Mr Carthy being killed by the Garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU)." www.irishexaminer.com

Will anything be done? will anybody be held to account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Did anyone ask why someone suffering from depression was allowed to have a shotgun? Where is the family's responsibility in all this?

The man had a loaded shotgun and refused to drop it..... Seems clear cut to me!

What would the "do-gooders" say if he had shot a garda then we would have to have another enquiry as to why he wasn't stopped?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Go read the article. The fact that he was shot isn't the debate here as such. It's the mistakes that the police made up to the point that he was shot including refusing his request for a solicitor and the fact that they weren't prepared for him to just walk out with the shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think the best that can come from this report is that procedures be tightened and lessons learned.

I haven't read the report and don't believe for one minute that different media weren't biased either towards the Gardaí or towards Mr. McCarthy. As a result I can't comment on the rights or wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Agreed. I think this whole tribunal has been a farse tbh and it's conclusion is the only thing that contained a 'litany of errors' (not to mention an astronomical waste of €18million tax-payers money).

The original operation was a 100% success if you ask me.. I.e. the crazed gunman who walked out of the house waving a loaded shotgun (who had fired 20 shotgun blasts at the Gardai in the hours before) was dealt with!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

"Having finally received the truth behind their brother’s death, the family called for the officers responsible to be held to account and justice to be done.

The 744-page report of Mr Justice Robert Barr detailed an appalling litany of errors by commanding officers which resulted in Mr Carthy being killed by the Garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU)." www.irishexaminer.com

Will anything be done? will anybody be held to account?

Surprise surprise, you jump at the opportunity to criticise the guards. Will anything be done? There has just been a tribunal lasting 6 years and costing 18 million. I'd say something has been done. Change the record, will you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

rondeco wrote:
    Surprise surprise, you jump at the opportunity to criticise the guards. Will anything be done? There has just been a tribunal lasting 6 years and costing 18 million. I'd say something has been done. Change the record, will you.

excuse me... i have left the criticism to Judge Barr.

but i see where you are coming from... all one has to do is ask a question about a report into the conduct of the guards.
    and we have people in this country defending the guards no matter what the report says.

Judge Barr did the criticising, I asked a question, and you my friend jumped to defend, like a guilty criminal would when been accused...

that says it all for me. thank you for confirming my suspicions...
    no matter what...the guards are Innocent.

now to give my opinion ( which i haven't yet )..i think the guards were right to do what they did.

excuse me... i have left the criticism to Judge Barr.

but i see where you are coming from... all one has to do is ask a question about a report into the conduct of the guards.
    and we have people in this country defending the guards no matter what the report says.

Judge Barr did the criticising, I asked a question, and you my friend jumped to defend, like a guilty criminal would when been accused...

that says it all for me. thank you for confirming my suspicions...
    no matter what...the guards are Innocent.

now to give my opinion ( which i haven't yet )..i think the guards were right to do what they did.

Ah yes, I jump to defend them. I would reckon that I am not defending them but rather criticising you in that anytime I see your posts, the majority of them are critical of the guards. So, park up that high horse of yours and CHANGE THE RECORD!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

rondeco wrote:
    Ah yes, I jump to defend them. I would reckon that I am not defending them but rather criticising you in that anytime I see your posts, the majority of them are critical of the guards. So, park up that high horse of yours and CHANGE THE RECORD!

But to people like me who have never seen a post of his before, your post just seems like you're defending, almost protecting the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

rondeco wrote:

well if you are criticizing me for been critical of the guards... i take it you spoke out of turn on this occasion...

apology accepted.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote:
    But to people like me who have never seen a post of his before, your post just seems like you're defending, almost protecting the Guards.

woooh.:rolleyes:How dare I.

well if you are criticizing me for been critical of the guards... i take it you spoke out of turn on this occasion...

apology accepted.

Its great that we have such righteous and informed people..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement