Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€20 burning a hole in my pocket

Options
  • 20-07-2006 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

recommend me an album

something new

something i might not have heard of

cheers

eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Format - Interventions & Lullabies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

not heard of that

who/what they like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Just check out some of the previews here on amazon.com

I love em. On Your Porch would be my favourite song, but maybe not too representative of their usual overall sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Hmmm.....*thinks*

The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart

Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What kind of stuff are you into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Me Your Bones

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Metallic Falcons - Desert Doughnuts - this is my favourite new album of the last couple of weeks... dark, expansive and spooky sounding, features one of the sisters from the band Cocorosie. Here's a couple of songs for you to hear...

Snakes & Tea
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=777978163AA3C48D

Nighttime & Morning (this one takes a while to kick in...)
    http://www.ezarchive.com/moteldemoka/AlbumSpace/2WFP9JHBMO/Metallic+Falcons+-+Nighttime+*26+Morning.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Sufjan Stevens! Think thats how you spell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I recommend Boy Kill Boy's debut album if you're looking for an nu-indie band with a bit of spunk and I recommend Peter Bjorn And John - Writers Block - if your're looking for something laid back in a classicaly sense of nu-folk with some cool thrown in and finally I recommend either Matthew Herbert's Scale or Rosin Murphy's Ruby Blue if you're looking for some ambient, funk alternative with a bit of snap crackle and pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Pick up Fields - 4 Songs From The Village EP.
    Check www.myspace.com/songsforthefields

And something else as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Matthew Herbert's Scale

I didn't know that was out yet. Must keep an eye out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Crayonsmith - Stay Loose. (You can get it in Road Records)

It's worth a listen - he's great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

You might have heard of them; The Exies - Head for the Door. Slow Drain is my favorite track if you wanna test them out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

You've probably heard of it man but get Sonic Youths new album, Rather Ripped. Tis really ****ing good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Strapping Young Lad - city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The National "alligator" is a bit special:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

horrorpops - bring it on

its very detroit cobras but less whailly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wolfmother ... wolfmother.. just bought and listened to. very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

John2 wrote:
    I didn't know that was out yet. Must keep an eye out for it.

tis' so good that i wrote about it on my brand new blog. (having issues with myblog so it's only working in Firefox for some reason, here is what i said..)
    Up to about two months ago I had never heard of Matthew Herbert. Thankfully I got my hands on Rosin Murphy’s amazing album Ruby Blue and was so impressed with her offerings that I checked out Herbert, the producer of Ruby Blue.

Herbert released Scale approx two months ago. It features more than 723 samples derived from such studio rarities such as coffins, meteorites, an RAF Tornado bomber and some bloke puking his ring up outside of a restaurant. So how does that all sound after it’s being thrown into a blender for sixty odd minutes?

Delightful!

Scale is an eclectic mix (who would of thought) of punk-jazz-orchestral fuelled bingo bongo sexified melodies. Scale has buckets of musical snap crackle and pop! From the opening track, Something Isn’t Right, which features the sexiest vocal arrangement I have ever heard, to the almost sound of music-esque We Are In Love, there are no stop gaps on Scale.

Herbert will never be a famous commercial producer which in my opinion is always a good thing as his music is so unique. It would be a shame for him to parade his talent on the same stage as some of the muck that can is currently gracing the music charts.

Herberts Scale comes highly recommended, make some room on that coffee table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

cheers for the advice i checked out some of it. most of it i have or wasnt mad about

but here is what i bought anyway

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BHANX6/sr=8-1/qid=1153569943/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8214550-2296144?ie=UTF8

i wasnt dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

eoinf wrote:
    cheers for the advice i checked out some of it. most of it i have or wasnt mad about

but here is what i bought anyway

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BHANX6/sr=8-1/qid=1153569943/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8214550-2296144?ie=UTF8

i wasnt dissapointed

Great choice! Nice to see The Drones getting some attention. I had the great luck to see them a couple of times in Berlin in some TINY clubs. A friend of mine has played lots of gigs with them and got me listening. Nice guys (and girl) too!

Advertisement