Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any1 remember mansun?

Options
  • 20-07-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

The english band, from around 98-00 I think the singers name was paul draper, had songs like :
    I can only disappoint you
    Wide open space
    Six
    Being a girl
    Legacy

Any1 know what happend em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Disbanded in 2003-ish, released a 4th album with B-sides and rare stuff called Kleptomania. Its alright. Try you tube for videos, both live and singles. Take it east chicken is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

i remember a video where they chucked a load of money in the air at liverpool st station...i think it was them.

Definitely better bands around, mind you they are better than some of the tosh thats around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The song was called Tax Loss. Good band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I love wide open space, haven't heard much of their other stuff but i wasn't impressed with what i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Alter-Ego wrote:
    I love wide open space, haven't heard much of their other stuff but i wasn't impressed with what i heard.

Yeah me neither, got Six based on comments here.

Meh! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

I always loved the tracks Wide Open Space and Being a Girl. An old house mate of mine was big into them, but other than the two songs I've mentioned I never really liked the rest of their work to honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

They were my favourite band for the time they were around. Brilliant songwriter was Paul Draper, maybe the songs were a tad over-produced but Attack of the Grey Lantern was a deadly album. Maybe the last concept album to top the English charts I think?

They went a bit mental with Six but it still had some top songs... negative, six, inverse midas, special/blown it, legacy, being a girl. They just didn't really care about what the mainstream audience wanted and just did some off the wall stuff. I remember when they released Six as a single and performed it on top of the pops. It was terrible. Because of the production on the album they weren't able to perform the song live properly so it bombed. Terrible management decision that ultimately was their downfall I think. It was never an "immediate" song anyway, took a few listens, as did most of the songs on that album.

Just thought i'd give my two-cents worth as the general concensus seemed to be that they weren't much good. Trust me lads, they were a great band. I miss them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Trust me lads, they were a great band. I miss them
    I concur, wholeheartedly. As my username testifies, I'm a big mansun fan. There should be a best of coming out in September for anyone thats interested (theres meant to be a dvd of rare stuff with the best of... "for the fans") Can't wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

six is one of my fav albums ever. god bless mansun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One of the better bands of the horrible, horrible Britpop era. They had a sound that was very reminiscent of good 80s groups - Tears for Fears especially. Not fashionable at the time so good on them. I also liked the band Rialto from that time - similar style (not to be confused with their contemporaries Dolphin's Barn :D). Another band like that were Menswear - who sucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

60ft Dolls were the best band ever that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Wide Open Space is a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I loved Attack of the Grey Lantern, at the time I predicted big things for Mansun but alas it wasn't to be.
    You'll be glad to hear Paul Draper is currently working on songs for a solo album which I think is being released later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I loved Wide Open Space and the video for Legacy.

www.allmusic.com is a good site for looking up discographies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

There should be a best of coming out in September for anyone thats interested (theres meant to be a dvd of rare stuff with the best of... "for the fans") Can't wait.....

LEGACY - THE BEST OF MANSUN
    Parlophone are pleased to announce that Legacy - The Best Of Mansun will be released on 18 September on CD, Special Edition CD/DVD and Digital Download

CD
    1. I Can Only Disappoint U
    2. Wide Open Space
    3. Stripper Vicar
    4. Being A Girl (Part One)
    5. Negative
    6. Take It Easy Chicken
    7. Legacy
    8. She Makes My Nose Bleed
    9. Closed For Business
    10. Six
    11. Getting Your Way
    12. Electric Man
    13. The Chad Who Loved Me
    14. Egg Shaped Fred
    15. Slipping Away
    16. Fool
    17. Taxloss

DVD
    1. Flourella
    2. Egg Shaped Fred
    3. Take It Easy Chicken
    4. Stripper Vicar
    5. Wide Open Space
    6. Wide Open Space (US version)
    7. She Makes My Nose Bleed
    8. Taxloss
    9. Closed For Business
    10. Legacy
    11. Being A Girl (Part One)
    12. Negative
    13. Six
    14. I Can Only Disappoint U
    15. Electric Man
    16. Fool

Plus
    Taxloss (Live at Brixton - 23/10/98)
    Love Remains (Super 8 montage)
    Nobody Cares When You're Gone (unseen documentary footage)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

someone on this forum recommended Mansun - Six to me.

i thought it was dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

on wide open space is soooo cool. I could listen to it over and over ... I really liked Attack of the Grey Lanterns ... some mad lyrics in there ... and there's some cool intros, church bells ... must add that one to my ipod. I never bought any other albums of theirs, must get onto limewire, cough, I mean itunes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fastrewind

Brilliant, brilliant band. The 'secret' track on ...Grey Latern -sometimes called 'an open letter to the lyrical trainspotter' was just ridiculously funny ("the lyrics aren't supposed to mean that much/they're just a vehicle for a lovely voice/they aren't supposed to mean that much"). And made even better by the fact that it was buried away.

Wide Open Space was also great - you totally feel like you're in a wide open space when you listen to it.

And Taxloss is genius - reckon it showed Franz Ferdinand how to glue two songs into one.

Never could get into Six though, no matter how hard I tried. Roll on the best of...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Anyone who can't get into Six should give "Special/Blown It Delete as appropriate" and "Six" another 2 or 3 listens. Oh, and "Being a girl", "Legacy" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Yep, great band, was at their last Irish show in the Ambassador, apparently they were going to cancel due to low ticket sales but played because it wouldn't be fair to cancel fro the people that had bought tickets. There were about two rows at the front and that was it. They still played a great show though, split up soon after.

Bit of trivia, they won a brit award for Attack of the Grey Lantern before the album was released. First two albums were produced by Paul Draper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think Six is an excellent album. It has a good mix of songs on it. Almost every song stands out and is different to the others on the disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭del_boy85

"Attack of the Grey Lantern" is one of my all time fave albums. I thought "Six" was a bit self-indulgent to be honest, but it had it's moments. As did "Little Kix". Good band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    someone on this forum recommended Mansun - Six to me.

i thought it was dire.

Well, you my friend, are an idiot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No need for abuse Mr Jones. Keep it civil please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

If you want to subscribe to Paul Drapers mailing list to follow his upcoming solo project. Should be interesting, I'd say he'll wait until the mansun greatest hits cd is released before releasing anything solo

http://www.pauldraper.info/

Advertisement