Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

english cars in d4

Options
  • 20-07-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

can anyone shed some light on this for me please. why is it that there are some many english reg'd cars in dublin 4. i have been driving through ranelagh (palmerstown park) down through malborough road towards rte every morning and have noticed a lot of these cars parked in gardens and been driven buy people living in these houses. i just thought that you couldnt drive cars from england over here?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

B&Bs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would guess either

tax (VRT) and avoidance thereof

or

a public demonstration that these people would rawthaw be Brytysh :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its where lots of peeps live who work in UK, or have houses there and here and so buy UK cars (for the obvious reaons) either that or "they are all West Brits and should be burned out of thier homes and sent packing - Mick, another pint in there pleesh".

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

always wondered meself .. all behind lansdowne also

So they all work at UK embassy? I dunno where it is exactly....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Palmerstown Park is in Rathmines and Ranelagh is Dublin 6, not Dublin 4. hehe, but anyway... there are UK reg cars everywhere you look these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dodging VRT and motortax is the new off-shore account...

Before you all run away with this, do remember that it's the height of the holiday season and Holyhead is only 90 minutes away by ferry!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anan1 wrote:
    Before you all run away with this, do remember that it's the height of the holiday season and Holyhead is only 90 minutes away by ferry!;)

Yeah ...but where's the fun in bashing tourists? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Go ahead slag off the english in your own homegrown broken english, never dawned on your miserable awareness that they may in fact be visiting relatives or also holiday makers and this is the best you can come up with!

Jesus you're a sad bunch for a motoring forum. Get a life guys-you're letting the country down!

• Advertisement

Go ahead slag off the english in your own homegrown broken english, never dawned on your miserable awareness that they may in fact be visiting relatives or also holiday makers and this is the best you can come up with!

Jesus you're a sad bunch for a motoring forum. Get a life guys-you're letting the country down!

Read before you type, halfwit. Nobody was slagging the English off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Anan1 wrote:
    Read before you type, halfwit. Nobody was slagging the English off here.

OK Anal, so perhaps where you come from the term 'West Brit' has obviously some positive social cache!

Why not enlighten us, because my understanding of this term is nothing but malicious and invariably made by one jealous of another.

OK Anal, so perhaps where you come from the term 'West Brit' has obviously some positive social cache!

Why not enlighten us, because my understanding of this term is nothing but malicious and invariably made by one jealous of another.

Wake up. The whole point of the term "West Brit" is that the recipient is not in fact British. What part of this don't you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sonnenblumen, take your "homegrown broken english" comment and shove it up your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

D4 = Little Britain..only joking.

I think though that now that the jig is up with the amount of complaints about foreign cars here from Eastern Europe dodging the VRT and Road Tax that everyone is automatically assuming all foreign cars either on holidays or not are tax evaders.

Im sure you can understand the average frustrated irish driver having to pay road tax for these "foreign" cars to drive on our roads with no consideration for the "irish registered" cars.

As per new laws though, this will all change. Impounders will be busy over the next while. And im sure the exchequer will be rubbing its hands with delight of more revenue.

All i can say is, its about bloody time and i hope all the heaps of sh•te these guys bring over are buried quick to make our roads safer.

Just on that note though, is there any change on the restrictions of drving on a freign licence? ie. people here driving on a Russian/latvian/polish/Romanian licences etc and insured by Irish insurance companies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

D4 = Little Britain..only joking
    :D LOL

Jesus there's a lot of sensitivity about this morning. Being English (and dare I say it happy to be so), I think the term 'West Brit' is comedy, as are all the little Paris Hilton wannabes in D4 driving mummy's megane tin-tops (badly). There's plenty of lads at work, English and Irish driving Northern or Mainland UK reg'd cars and the attitude is 'When I get busted I'll VRT it'. They are (AFAIK) all insured here and the cars are very roadworthy and often very nice.

At this time of year there are obviously more UK reg'd cars over here for hols etc. but probably just as many Irish based folk driving UK reg cars because VRT is a con (irrespective of the legal side of this debate), and if they can avoid it, they will. I know Hibernian insure UK plate cars for up to a year.

ibanezjem wrote:
    is there any change on the restrictions of drving on a freign licence? ie. people here driving on a Russian/latvian/polish/Romanian licences

Hold on a second. Latvia and Poland are full members of the EU now. Their driving licenses are 100% equal to a full Irish driving license. Romania is still due to join per 01/01/2007 if I didn't miss the latest twist, so it will apply to them too. Russia is not on the cards to join the EU
    Gatster wrote:
    There's plenty of lads at work, English and Irish driving Northern or Mainland UK reg'd cars and the attitude is 'When I get busted I'll VRT it'

Yeah I suspect that's the attitude of most drivers with cars on foreign plates that should be VRT'd. Tax dodging chancers. Literally. Then again I can see why they would chance it with extremely high motor tax and VRT over here set off against a very low chance they'll get nicked. But maybe that will all change now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

was looking again this morning. these people live in these houses. there not b&b's. so the law change today would mean that they could get impounded?

tabatha wrote:
    was looking again this morning. these people live in these houses. there not b&b's. so the law change today would mean that they could get impounded?

If the drivers are ROI residents then the cars could always have been impounded. If not, then all's well. Unless you know the drivers, there's really no way of telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

ibanezjem wrote:
    Just on that note though, is there any change on the restrictions of drving on a freign licence? ie. people here driving on a Russian/latvian/polish/Romanian licences etc and insured by Irish insurance companies....

I rang my insurance company (FBD) to get my g/f put on my policy. She's Polish, with a full Polish license, and they said that there was no problem with that; they didn't even want a copy of her license (probably because I have an open drive policy, and she's over 25). They just marked on my file that I wanted her named, but her name doesn't have to appear on my cert.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    I rang my insurance company (FBD) to get my g/f put on my policy. She's Polish, with a full Polish license, and they said that there was no problem with that; they didn't even want a copy of her license (probably because I have an open drive policy, and she's over 25). They just marked on my file that I wanted her named, but her name doesn't have to appear on my cert.

Did your premium go down? It normally does when a male puts his female partner / spouse on as a named driver

Anan1 wrote:
    Unless you know the drivers, there's really no way of telling.

There is if you notice them living there for more than a year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ibanezjem wrote:
    As per new laws though, this will all change. I
    New laws? Did I miss something regarding foreign reg cars??

(Showing my ignorance here now)

<edit>Ah, i see here (http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0721/roads.html). Is this just for insurance or for VRT dodging?</edit>

Sonnenblumen, take a chill pill. If I can have a laugh at my own countrymans expense(s)....so can you.

Mike.

Hold on a second. Latvia and Poland are full members of the EU now. Their driving licenses are 100% equal to a full Irish driving license

Erm..they are not in hells chance equal. Hense the relentless driving habits and numerous complaints by irish nationals about foreign nationals not been able to learn the "irish rules of the road" properly. No point in saying that some irish are like that too but, letting more drivers on the road that are clearly not fit to do so is a joke.
    She's Polish, with a full Polish license, and they said that there was no problem with that; they didn't even want a copy of her license (probably because I have an open drive policy, and she's over 25). They just marked on my file that I wanted her named, but her name doesn't have to appear on my cert.

In all fairness Fey, my pet rabbit could be named driver in my car. Insurance companies are more than willing to pull your hand off before it gets to your wallet.

As with both quotes mentioned, the point is this and quite simply obvious, that to drive in this country no matter were the fook you're from, either you should have an irish or international licence. Nothing else should suffice and should be subject to prosecution if caught with anything other than mentioned. Bit of a free for all in this country and the law are way too lenient when it comes to road safety.

The new laws is simply to frighten foreign cars into paying the VRT and has nothing to do with increasing safety on our roads. Total revenue in the VRT sector must have been down this year in ratio to the amount for foreign cars coming into the country so they've to change the law to generate the proper revenue.

Id say though most of the LHD cars they bring in will be scrapped as there's not a market for resale here and the majority of them are death traps anyway.....cant see them paying the duty either.

Id like to see them all pay road tax though... just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ibanezjem wrote:
    complaints by irish nationals about foreign nationals not been able to learn the "irish rules of the road" properly.

Looks like some of the Irish need to learn to spell first before considering driving!

As a foreign national driving I take offence to some of your comments. Considering that 1 in 4 drivers on Irish roads are provisional holders and therefore (IMO) unlicensed I find it hard to believe that you are questioning the driving skills of foreigners in such a sweeping statement.

As part of my job I recently had to check with the DOE about a UK Licence(mine is a UK licence) holder driving in Ireland. When I moved over the rules were that you had to change your licence within 6 months to an Irish licence. According to the information I recieved from the DOE (on e-mail) this is no longer the case and I don't have to switch my licence at all.

For the record I drive an Irish registered car and therefore pay ridiculously high road tax like most others.

ibanezjem wrote:
    Erm..they are not in hells chance equal

Erm..yes they are. All EU licenses are equal in all EU countries. Except provisional licenses, which are not considered to be licenses in the first place
    ibanezjem wrote:
    to drive in this country no matter were the fook you're from, either you should have an irish or international licence. Nothing else should suffice and should be subject to prosecution if caught with anything other than mentioned

You having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ibanezjem wrote:
    As with both quotes mentioned, the point is this and quite simply obvious, that to drive in this country no matter were the fook you're from, either you should have an irish or international licence. Nothing else should suffice and should be subject to prosecution if caught with anything other than mentioned. Bit of a free for all in this country and the law are way too lenient when it comes to road safety.
    Shows what you know ... there is no such thing as an "international driving licence", unless you count the crappy old thing you can get from the AA for a few quid after showing them your existing licence, and which is only of any use if visiting a non EU country. Under current EU regulations anyone from any other EU country can legally drive here on their existing licence until it expires. If you don't like that, then tough, 'cos that's the way it is.

unkel wrote:
    There is if you notice them living there for more than a year

That's my point, just put in a different way.

R.O.R wrote:
    Looks like some of the Irish need to learn to spell first before considering driving!

Maybe you should get fookin drivin lessons ya tosser! Glad you changed your plates, 'bout time too.
    I guess now you can take the serial box out of the window and stick in some "real" tax eh!

unkel wrote:
    Erm..yes they are. All EU licenses are equal in all EU countries. Except provisional licenses, which are not considered to be licenses in the first place

So you think that someone who has learnt to drive on the opposite side of the road, in a left hand drive car, has different laws and regulations in place in their country of origin and can hardly speak English, nevermind the reading bloody road signs has the same knowledge of the road as here.
    Your the one having a laugh!
    knobend wrote:
    If you don't like that, then tough, 'cos that's the way it is.

ra ra ra ra ra. You sound like a fookin baby. Tough then cause its the way it should be inless you want to be on the news getting carted off in a bag cause some idiot smashes you off the road cause he cant understand which way is which. Fook sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ibanezjem wrote:
    So you think that someone who has learnt to drive on the opposite side of the road, in a left hand drive car, has different laws and regulations in place in their country of origin and can hardly speak English, nevermind the reading bloody road signs has the same knowledge of the road as here.
    Your the one having a laugh!
    No, what he said was that in the eyes of the law, all EU licenses are equal and allow you to drive a car legally (once insured) in that country.

If you are a resident in the EU country you should have paid all relevant taxes etc ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement