Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Timing belt offer

Options
  • 20-07-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Seeing as alot of threads on here are about changing timing belts - just thought I would mention the "offer" I saw in the Evening Herald tonight.

Crossan Opel Clarehall (Dublin)

Timing Belt Kit with water Pump (supplied and fitted) €320 incl VAT (reduced from €420 incl VAT)

for Astra/Vectra/Tigra/Zafira.

(plus free wash and hoover/replacemnt car for €25 per day)

until 31st July.

Not an Opel driver myself so not sure if that a "good" price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

it cost me 430 to do an astra last year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a good price for a main dealer. Worth getting done if your t/belt is coming up on its replacement interval.

I still reckon I could get it cheaper - but without the wash/hoover!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats a joke, costed me 295e in McChesneys Opel in Monaghan and they provided a replacement car for two days.

Top lads in there and sales boys are good craic as well.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

€280 Euro every 80,000 miles for my Mondeo, from the main dealer. No wash or hoover though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah, the beauty of having a timing chain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kluivert wrote:
    Thats a joke, costed me 295e in McChesneys Opel in Monaghan and they provided a replacement car for two days.

I'd say €320 in Dublin compares pretty favourably to €295 in Monaghan, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd say €320 in Dublin compares pretty favourably to €295 in Monaghan, personally.

But I get the impression that kluivert got the replacement car included in that price.

Still though, Dublin labour charges are much higher that elswhere. €320 is good enough for a Dublin main dealer. I used to work there - a long, long time ago..................very long.........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

crosstownk wrote:
    But I get the impression that kluivert got the replacement car included in that price.

Think I missed that bit alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say certain garages would get alot of business their way if they quoted openly for jobs like this which are fairly standard, eg a 98 Golf and a 2003 Golf timing belt should take the exact same labour to fix so should be one fixed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭maidhc

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    I'd say certain garages would get alot of business their way if they quoted openly for jobs like this which are fairly standard, eg a 98 Golf and a 2003 Golf timing belt should take the exact same labour to fix so should be one fixed price.

Ford garages do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 azteca

Just now coming back from a trip the timing belt in my Opel Astra went - judging by the noise I'm sure that's what happened. There's 44,000 miles on the clock.
    Thing is I need it for work tomorrow Mon. I can do without sort of on Tues to book in somewhere to have it seen to. What I want to know is... would I be doing irreparable damage by driving it around tomorrow??????? Is it safe to drive????
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭maidhc

azteca wrote:
    Just now coming back from a trip the timing belt in my Opel Astra went - judging by the noise I'm sure that's what happened. There's 44,000 miles on the clock.
    Thing is I need it for work tomorrow Mon. I can do without sort of on Tues to book in somewhere to have it seen to. What I want to know is... would I be doing irreparable damage by driving it around tomorrow??????? Is it safe to drive????
    Thanks!!

If the timing belt went the car wouldn't be driving. It might have slipped though. Either way, it is very very unwise to continue driving a car that makes strange noises, you are pretty much guaranteed to multiply the repair bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be lots of things! best not to drive it - and think happy thoughts!

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll book it in asap and prepare to be fleeced!!
    I hate going to garages- nearly as much as seeing the dentist. You go in to both places equally vulnerably where what's to be done and cost is concerned.

When car was examined in Opel garage Liffey Valley (one week off having to present car for NCT!!) found that timing belt had gone - as expected which they put right (400 euros) and the day I was due to collect car they said there was major damage to the engine since we'd been driving it when it happened and would have to be stripped down (ten hours work at 80 euro/ hour labour!!!). Suspected as much - It had really sounded bad - like a helicopter!! Final cost we were told could be 2,900!! Remember the car is 02 with 44,000 on clock.

We were given the option of taking it away as it was (paying 400 euro for timing belt plus 1 hour labour to put it back together again) and looking for a recon engine (place on Naas Road quoted 2,500) or going round scrap yards. Robbie the chap we dealt with couldn't have been more helpful. Nobody wants to shell out this kind of cash at this time of year - if ever.

Before all this happened we had been looking to sell and knew Trade price at auction would be 5,500. We suggested trade in with them thinking they wouldn't want a dud car either. The paperwork for loan was done in 2 days - from me suggesting a trade in to driving away with another car.

I am now driving an 05 Astra and got the trade in on mine as was (with belt done but engine not sorted.) I was given 5,850 trade in on mine. Didn't have to pay for the Timing belt or engine. Had had use of courtesy car for no charge for a week.

Alls well that ends well!! If we had had the time and connections we could have gone round the scrap yards and saved money but to be honest needed the car urgently for work as I work in 3 different places, dropping kids to school, after school activities etc. (Opel had lent me their courtesy car which was a blessing - I'd really have been stuck otherwise) They are going to take care of NCT too which I'd had to cancel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was down there a couple of weeks ago, and Robbie is a nice lad alright, very helpful and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimmybang

i just lost my timing belt and have been informed it might also have damaged the valves...it broke when i backed out of the driveway so it was short and quick. is there a history of this happening? ie, timing belt goes and so does the top end of the motor. this is a 93 astra wagon 2.0, im not sure it would be worth the cost to repair it if the bloody top end is damaged....any experiences with this?

thanks

Jimmy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

start a new thread instead of resurrecting dead ones please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement