Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alarm for Convertible

Options
  • 20-07-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for an alarm for a convertible.

I have been looking at Clifford but it seems that they have been dogged with problems in the last few years in relation to relability.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt say cliffords have been dogged with problems,if anything they've gotten a hell of alot better in recent years with alot of companies now replicating there technology.unfortunatly the price of them over here is nuts.

Some people have described cars as unrobable with them which isnt true,i installed my own and its got all the bells and whistles and any thief with a bit of sense could bypass one in minutes.

Take a look at Toad alarms,either way id say you'l want something with proxy sensors onboard if your leaving the top down.The main problem with these is kids love to do laps of the car when they hear it beep driving the sensors and you nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Cliffords are great, but I did have a problem with mine immediately after installing (yes, I installed it myself). The motion sensor was false-alarming from time-to-time. I asked the folks on www.the12volt.com and they comfirmed it was a known problem with some Cliffords (bug in the motion sensor's firmware).

I just unplugged that sensor - the other sensor work fine (microwave, shock, etc) that I'm not worried about the motion (tilt) sensor not being there.

18 months later, and the alarm is still perfect.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a microwave sensor since ultrasonic sensors won't work with a convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Where are you based? There's a very good alarm specialiest here in Galway called MJ Systems (aka FBI Security), based in Victoria Place (VP Motors). 091-561449.

They've done a few bits and pieces for me, and really know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the responses.

Where can I get these TOAD alarms?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I had a Clifford on my last car and it had everything except blackjack and it was 500 quid back in October. Pretty ok in my opinion..

I probably should have an alarm on my car now but I haven't got around to it yet but I'll more than likely go for a Clifford again.

Lifetime guarantee with the original owner, how many other alarms offer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

I have had four Cliffords over the last eight years and have only one problem when the siren, after three years, failed.

Replaced without a question.

Advertisement