Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 1.6 vs 1.8

Options
  • 20-07-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the new shape S40. Anyone got opinions on the 1.6 vs 1.8 petrol versions??? Better engine/reliability and all the usual stuff. Is it only a diiference in power i.e 100vs 125 bhp? or are they different completely? or am I mad ruling out the diesel versions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Darando wrote:
    Was looking at the new shape S40. Anyone got opinions on the 1.6 vs 1.8 petrol versions??? Better engine/reliability and all the usual stuff. Is it only a diiference in power i.e 100vs 125 bhp? or are they different completely? or am I mad ruling out the diesel versions?

The new S40 is based on the current Ford Focus and uses most of the engines including the 1.6 litre 100bhp and 1.8 litre 125bhp from it. The 1.6 110bhp diesel is also used in the Focus but is build by Peugeot/Citroen.

I had a similar query when I bought my current car and found that the 1.8 litre is almost as economical as the 1.6 litre version as it has less of a strain to pull the body. It is also more lively than the underpowered 1.6 litre, the only real downside is it costs about €100 a year extra to tax which is not alot really for the added benefits.

If you can afford the 1.6 diesel then go for that as come resale time it will be worth alot more and you will get good economy from it. If you go for the petrol I would suggest the 1.8 litre. Also if your budget allows go with the SE or SE+ trim as these have leather trim, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

bazz26 wrote:
    If you can afford the 1.6 diesel then go for that as come resale time it will be worth alot more and you will get good economy from it. If you go for the petrol I would suggest the 1.8 litre. Also if your budget allows go with the SE or SE+ trim as these have leather trim, etc.

options kinda look like a 1.8 S or a 1.6 SE trim. something has to give!

Darando wrote:
    options kinda look like a 1.8 S or a 1.6 SE trim. something has to give!

Totally depends on what kindof driving you do then.

If you do mostly urban driving then the 1.6 litre petrol should be fine and spend you money on the SE trim.

If you do mostly motorway driving then the 1.8 litre petrol or 1.6 litre diesel is your best option.

Does it have to be brand new?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=445949
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=399982

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

No, second hand is what I would be looking at. Either get one here or a trip across the water perhaps. Seems to be a lot of 1.6 SE overthere as opposed to overhere. Thats why I wondered what they were like.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Darando wrote:
    No, second hand is what I would be looking at. Either get one here or a trip across the water perhaps. Seems to be a lot of 1.6 SE overthere as opposed to overhere. Thats why I wondered what they were like.

As far as I know the 1.6 was only added as an option on the S40 this year so I would be surprised if there are that many floating around. Maybe the UK is different, but I'm fairly sure it was introduced there at the same time.

My sister has a 1.6 petrol and I would say it is more than powerful enough for everyday driving. My advice would definitely go for the SE model if you can - you get a hell of a well specified car for quite reasonable money.

• Advertisement

As far as I know the 1.6 was only added as an option on the S40 this year so I would be surprised if there are that many floating around. Maybe the UK is different, but I'm fairly sure it was introduced there at the same time.

My sister has a 1.6 petrol and I would say it is more than powerful enough for everyday driving. My advice would definitely go for the SE model if you can - you get a hell of a well specified car for quite reasonable money.

The current S40 was introduced in 2004 and came with a 1.6 litre petrol engine from launch. It is the same 1.6 litre engine found in the Ford Focus.

Not sure when or if the 1.6 litre petrol unit is available in the UK as most cars in this class start off at 1.8 litre over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The 2 litre diesel is a racing car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Darando wrote:
    No, second hand is what I would be looking at. Either get one here or a trip across the water perhaps.

Well worth a trip to the UK.

Just helped a mate bring home an 8 month old S40 a few weeks ago with barely 3000 miles on the clock. Petrol 1.8 and incredible spec list (leather with elec memory seats, cruise, elec sunroof, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, dimming mirror etc. etc.), basically every option possible.

New here would have worked out roughly €37500 because of the extras.

Including vrt he has it on the road for under €27000. Thats a hell of a saving for an 8 month old car with such little mileage. There wasn't an 05 car available here that came within an asses roar of the spec never mind the price/condition.

Incredibly though in the UK the cars come with a 3 year warranty, here they come with a 2 year warranty. Since the warranty carries (and we double checked this) he actually has 4 months more warranty on the car then if he'd bought new here.

Lovely car and the 1.8 is well worth getting over the 1.6, diesels are good too but only worthwhile if you really do a lot of miles.

Advertisement