Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights with buying used car privately

Options
  • 20-07-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I bought a car last saturday the 8th of July privately from a seller in the UK, the car ran in to serious engine trouble on the 12th of July. I put about 200 miles on the car and I did nothing to cause the engine to run in to problems.

Basically the car will need engine repairs to the amount of 3,300 euro and I am just trying to find out what my legal rights are with regards to getting a full refund or getting the seller to pay for the repairs?

The car was advertised publicly and as far as I was aware was in good condition, obviously this is not the case as the car had problems 3 days after the purchase.

I also know that an MOT cert. that was obtained from the seller is false and he paid over the normal amount to get it.

where do I stand?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

You should read the charter before posting here,

but I would suggest you post the same question in the motors forum. A good few people there have experience with importing cars from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

you won't get any legal advise here.... might be better trying the motors forum...

in general one would have very few rights when buying from a private seller, which is why its important for one to get the car checked over (aa inspection or equilivant) yourself...

Some reading for you here:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Oh...sorry,

Have moved the thread to motor section.

Thanks.

Advertisement