Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf trips in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-07-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

I'm organising a golf trip for my Dad's 60th b'day this Sep/Oct and have been looking at 5 days in Villamoura. I've also looked at staying at home and playing some little known gems around the country. Here's a planned itinerary.

Possible Northwest golf trip option below........

Thursday: 18 holes in Rosses Point @ €70
    Friday: 36 holes Special in Ballyliffin @ €120. Stay in Rosapenna Hotel on Friday night.
    Saturday: 18 holes in Rosapenna @ €90

Obviously RP and Ballyliffin are top notch courses, but I'm wondering what Rosapenna is like? Anyone played it? Any other course suggestions?

Madds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Three years ago I went on a trip with a few friends. We played Mount Juliet on the way through Kilkenny on Friday and then played Waterford Castle and Faithlegg on the Saturday and Sunday - staying in a nice little modest hotel called Dooley's in Waterford.

It cost €145 for the three rounds and I'm fairly sure the offer is still available. Although we did have to pay a €15 'weekend charge' at every course although it didn't really matter at the time cos we'd paid the original cash weeks earlier.

Very enjoyable I must say. I loved Waterford Castle. Haven't been back since but will definitely return someday soon, touch wood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

If the trip drifts well into October would the weather be pretty rough for West/North West Links golf compared to the sunny Villamoura option?

Saying that I'm the lazy golfer that hates the thought of a wind swept challenging Links course - whereas you may love that option...

Just throwing my 2 cents in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I played Rossapenna years ago, and it was the most unremarkable golf course I ever played.. Unless it has changed drastically I would not pay 90 euros to play it!

Check out the West Coast Challenge.. 115 euros for 4 days golf on 4 courses, in the first full week in September.. The courses are: Strandhill, Ennniscrone, Bundoran and Murvagh.. Good value in my book!

Greenhorn is that called the 'gold coast classic' or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

css wrote:

Greenhorn is that called the 'gold coast classic' or something like that?

Possibly, I can't really remember. I'm fairly sure you can still get the offer though. Along with one or two more I've seen pop up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

If you're going to go for the Northwest, Murvagh (outside Donegal town) is a great course, and reasonably priced...

• Advertisement
Advertisement