Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points

Options
  • 20-07-2006 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Got a letter last week from the gardai saying that I had allegedly overtaken on a continuous white line .Well it was sent to my wife but I had been driving her car at the time .Does anybody know that if it was a cop that saw me doing this would it have the gardas name on the fine or because it says allegedly does this mean that it was some member of the public that reported me .
    Also how does it work when somebody else other than the owner is driving the car .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Is it a standard fine letter?
    I would take my chances with this one.
    Perhaps:
    Your wife's friend from the UK was driving?
    The car in front braked extremely suddenly, and you swerved around it to avoid a collision.The Gardai in question should have arrested that person for erratic behaviour.

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did you commit the offence?

.Does anybody know that if it was a cop that saw me doing this would it have the gardas name on the fine or because it says allegedly does this mean that it was some member of the public that reported me .
    Also how does it work when somebody else other than the owner is driving the car .
    I would imagine he did, yes.

Then just contact the Gardai, inform them that it was you driving not your wife, pay the fine and have the penalty points applied to your licence. Simple really.

There's always one...:rolleyes:
    Tell me, Hagar. Do you not think that he will be just as careful next time with this as a warning? I would. To me, the sort of underhand bullsh*t the Gradai go on with means that you have to fight back, if you can.

A lot of the things we get hassle for every day on the rioads are trivial, or non-existent. Garda resources are leaned towards generating revenue for the state. Add to that the swaggering sh*te they go on with when you're at a checkpoint and are in perfect shape, and I think they are generating more bad feeling than money.

The recent closure of the south quays has been an eye opener for me. A Garda stopped me as I was going down the only street that was open, (diversion signs everywhere) to tell me I shouldn't be there!
    Duh!

The road wasn't closed when I parked. It is now. What's a guy to do? After listening to his crap for a while, I piointed out the obvious, and also that there were other cars behind me waiting to go, and he says " Go on". Saw him there again the following week, no problems.

A repeat offender can't use the same excuse over and over, and will have points applied eventually anyway. Some people never learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ted_striker

Is it possible for a member of the public to ring the cops and say I've just been overtaken on a continuous white line here's the guys reg or does it have to be a cop at the scene .

I wopuld ring the issuing station and ask. The cop in question didn't just do you. They're usually pretty cool when you talk to them after the fact. Just don't commit to anything, and say you can't remember, it might've been a mate of your wife's driving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you did it take the rap.

Learn from it and don't make the same error of judgement again.

If you did it take the rap.

Learn from it and don't make the same error of judgement again.

Wriggle out of it.

Learn from it and don't make the same error of judgement again

overdriver wrote:
    There's always one...:rolleyes:
    What exactly does that mean? Do you disagree that crossing a white line is dangerous? Do you think he should be cowardly enough to let his wife suffer the penalty for his offence? Or do you mean that anyone who advocates the upholding of a perfectly sensible law is a spoilsport or something? Please don't be so disparraging.
    overdriver wrote:
    Tell me, Hagar. Do you not think that he will be just as careful next time with this as a warning? I would. To me, the sort of underhand bullsh*t the Gradai go on with means that you have to fight back, if you can.
    No I don't, I think if he gets away scotfree he will have forgotten about it long before the penalty points on his licence expire.

I agree that some of the actions of the Gardaí are less than honourable but does that mean motorists can break any laws they want just beacuse they don't like the Gardaí?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ted_striker

Maybe I did commit the offence ,maybe I didn't I can't remember doing it but chances are I probably did .The stretch of road I supposedly commited the offence is a straight stetch about a half a mile long ,now if I overtook some ahole travelling at 40mph whose hovering halfway into the hard shoulder at 10 to seven in the morning on the way to work then I think 2 penalty points and a fine is a bit harsh .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

overdriver wrote:
    Wriggle out of it.

Learn from it and don't make the same error of judgement again

Are you a solicitor or just a chancer? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is it possible for a member of the public to ring the cops and say I've just been overtaken on a continuous white line here's the guys reg or does it have to be a cop at the scene .

Public can do it using Traffic Watch number.

Of course if you could prove that you weren't there at that time then there would be no proof as such to convict.

Hagar, as motorists - and I am law-abiding one, by the way. I never give them a chance to get me anymore - we have to accept that we are at war with this government, and the Gardai are in the middle of it. I have friends in the force who are piss3d off at the way they are being used.

The penalty points system is being used to generate income, and force drivers onto public transport. That a fact.

Speeding is a hard thing to defend, but more and more stories abouind of unfair limits, unworkable limits and the Gardai taking full advantage of it, like the 60 kph zone at Glen Fuels.

More and more points will be awarded for smaller and smaller infractions of the law. A single tail-light bulb out, for instance. We have 2 for a reason, but if you head out with 2 working, and one blows on th journey, you could soon be awarded points for that.

The Gardai have quotas for points. that also is a fact. A friend of mine is friends with a superintendent, who told him that he couldn't do anything for him about his points bcause his station were 2 way down on their targets".

i'm not condoning his actions, but I would hope that the OP will take this as a shot across the bows, and mend his ways. However, I don't think we should all lay down and take whatever points are given us, so long as the system remains so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

overdriver wrote:
    Hagar, as motorists - and I am law-abiding one, by the way. I never give them a chance to get me anymore - we have to accept that we are at war with this government, and the Gardai are in the middle of it. I have friends in the force who are piss3d off at the way they are being used.

The penalty points system is being used to generate income, and force drivers onto public transport. That a fact.

HA HA HA!!!! You should be a comedian..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

weaseling out of things is what seperates us from the animals!

except the weasel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hobbes wrote:
    Public can do it using Traffic Watch number.

Of course if you could prove that you weren't there at that time then there would be no proof as such to convict.

Can this really result in getting points? Surely a guard would have to witness the offence??:eek:

gyppo wrote:
    Can this really result in getting points? Surely a guard would have to witness the offence??:eek:

Agreed. Heresay cannot be used as a basis for a prosecution/penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Agreed. Heresay cannot be used as a basis for a prosecution/penalty.
    Unless you're driving in Iran with your big "I love Jebus!" sticker of course...

Advertisement