Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bluetooth Car Radios

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these? How do they work?

I was thinking of getting one instead of a car kit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Didn't know such a thing existed. I bought a bluetooth earpiece set in Dunnes which is grand for driving and can be used for Skype MSN etc also. look into it.plus your passengers won't hear your caller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

so you have a lot of secret callers? ;)

yup bluetooth radios alright:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=DEHP75BT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Pioneer & Blaupunkt do them, was thinking about one me 'sen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Confused here. What does bluetooth car radio do that's any different?

I've used bluetooth headsets for a while now to make/take mobile calls and they are excellent. As good as or better (if you change car frequently) than a fixed car kit. Legal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A Bluetooth car radio can link to your phone and function as a hands-free kit. I have one, a Becker bluetooth 9745 (I think). Great unit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anan1 wrote:
    A Bluetooth car radio can link to your phone and function as a hands-free kit. I have one, a Becker bluetooth 9745 (I think). Great unit.

Gotcha. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

What would be the normal price to get one of these units installed? I got a bluetooth headset because I could take it with me if I changed cars, since I could do the same with radios and wouldn't have to worry about keeping the battery charged it's tempting....

I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't like the lack of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Didn't want to spend too much money on an integrated model and I hated the idea of the earpiece ones so I just got a Motorola HF820. Clips on to the visor. Excellent call quality or so my callees tell me. Charge lasts me about 2 weeks of driving and then I just plug it into the cig lighter for a trip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had the Pioneer DEH-BT70. its ok but its not great, mic quality is questionable, often people can;t hear you properly.

I'd probably pay €150 and get a nokia bluetooth car kit fitted instead
    see www.manic-motorz.com - I think someone there does special deals

• Advertisement

What would be the normal price to get one of these units installed? I got a bluetooth headset because I could take it with me if I changed cars, since I could do the same with radios and wouldn't have to worry about keeping the battery charged it's tempting....

The unit cost me €1,000 on eBay about a year ago. The thing about the Becker unit is it also has sat nav, so fitting it isn't quite as simple as with a normal radio - it also needs links to the car's speed sensor and to a gps antenna. Given the quality of the sound, it's also tempting to upgrade the speakers ... whoops, there goes another €1,000 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What I'd like to get is a bluetooth head unit, with a pc-connectable hard drive for uploading mp3's...

Regarding privacy, jusy pull over and take the call on your mobile!

prospect wrote:
    What I'd like to get is a bluetooth head unit, with a pc-connectable hard drive for uploading mp3's...

The Becker has a compact flash slot (card from a digital camera). You can upload music from your laptop and listen to it in the car.

prospect wrote:
    ...Regarding privacy, jusy pull over and take the call on your mobile!

Not always practical, and besides wouldn't that defeat the object of having a fancy bluetooth gadet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ive just ordered this --> http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5261

Basically you turn on bluetooth on your phone,when you get in the car the radio recognises it,if a call comes thru "joe bloggs" name comes up on the radio screen and you have the option to connect the call or hang up.

If you connect then you hear the person thru your front speakers.

@Zascar - where did you have your mic placed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had it up on the sun visor - sometimes it was ok but others it sucked and the person at the otehr end got loads of feedback etc

Advertisement