Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai moving me along for no reason....

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Not looking for advice here just shooting the breeze as it were. Myself and my GF took our little dog for a walk along bull island. We have been doing this for nearly a year now. Anyway if anyone has been there recently, all the boy and girl racers seem to go down there and race up and down the beech.
    Anyway on this particular night the guards turned up, as i was just getting to our car. The guard driver rolled down his window and demanded we got off the beech. He actually got quiet annoyed with us for no apparent reason. We never answered him as we were heading home anyway. We got into the car and started it. Before we knew it the car was surrounded by three guards. We were both pulled from the cars and searched. The car was searched.
    Through all this we were nothing but polite but they just had this power hungry sense about them.
    When they had finished they told us to " get the fock off the beach ".
    Does a guard have a right to throw me off a public beech and even talk to me in that way. I know if i had have answered id have spent the night in the cell.
    Just want peoples taughts and opinions on this.
    Cheers
    FF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You just ask him can you take down his id number and name, if he wouldn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I did ask but he just replied to "move my focking car before he does me". I always believe you should be polite to the guards as they are only doing their job and pissing them off only makes things worse for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Mortmain

Does a guard have a right to throw me off a public beech
    FF

Maybe he was only looking out for your safety, after all, if you fell out of it you could have hurt yourself, especially if you hit any branches on the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You dont know what has been going on at the beach but still I find the lack of manners and courtesy from certain memebers of the garda force sickening.

I would have noted the car reg and asked for thier name, number and station
    which they are obliged to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Do they have to give their name i thought it was just their number which is unique to them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH I would have asked for badge numbers, then I would have locked my car door and proceeded for a bit of a walk, they can't force you to move your car and they cannot move it for you without your permission!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If they were patrolling Bull Island then they were probably from the Juliet Alpha District (Raheny) unless they were traffic corps. They were probably there on foot of complaints from the general public etc. Get the name of the 'Super' in Raheny and make an appointment to see him. Be pleasant and polite* but express your reservations about the actions of his officers. They can be quite responsive in these situations.

(* many of the people making complaints about the Gardaí are scumbags. You need to differentiate yourself from them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A lot (no not all!) of cops I've had the misfortune to deal with are power-tripping ignornant assholes that think a badge gives them the right to abuse and harass the general public, as yet again clearly illustrated here.

Here's another one.. driving along the N4 yesterday in heavy traffic and this guy in a Focus is tailgating me for about 5 minutes (close enough that I can't see most of his bonnet in the rearview mirror). Eventually I hit the brakes and he backs off.. but at the next lights he gets out, flashes a badge and tells me that I was hogging the outside lane (two lanes of heavy traffic and I was in the outer one, and overtaking slower traffic to my left). So I reply to him that firstly there was no opportunity to move in anyway, and regardless he shouldn't have been tailgating me at 80kph.

Typically he didn't answer me on this merely told me that I was "lucky" it wasn't a uniformed cop that stopped me or I'd be getting points, and that *I* should read up on the Rules of the Road (he had some neck I thought), but were it not for the fact we were both now holding up traffic I would've gotten his name, badge number, station and name of his superintendent and lodged a complaint.

I am sick to death of this sort of behaviour from the Gardai. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

You can be moved on if your loitering in an area used for anti-social behaviour.

Im not really familiar with Bull Island but an example is the Boardwalk (for me anyway) as everyday you see the papers giving out because the junkies and drunks are using it. We get complaints from people about 'those people' but at the end of the day its a bloody boardwalk, its designed for people to sit down and relax.

So while people complain when its done to them they also expect us to do it to others without considering the fact that everyone is equal under the law.

You can ask for a Garda's name but only in circumstances where a shoulder number was not available such as a detective or over the phone.

And before anyone says it, yes I can believe that a Garda acted like a prick, I wasnt born in uniform and I dont wear one off-duty either.

i honestly believe that the gardai have a very difficult job to do and most of the time they do it very well. I have been pulled in off the streets walking home from work at night to be beaten at the back of the garda station, then to be locked up, stripped searched, locked up again. never being told what i was arrested for or given a phone call.
    Eventually being told that "it was mistaken identity". When i went to complain i was told that there was 7 gardai present when i was taken in and i attacked them. now its there word against mine so i left it.
    Im afraid the gardai abuse there power sometimes, but its not a direct power they have. they have the power to enforce the law but some individules make them up as they go along.
    if i had of gotten out and went for another walk im sure i would have been arrested. i was not loitering or being anti social. whenever i encounter a gardai im polite.
    sometimes they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x w62CE t4<D@C

i honestly believe that the gardai have a very difficult job to do and most of the time they do it very well. I have been pulled in off the streets walking home from work at night to be beaten at the back of the garda station, then to be locked up, stripped searched, locked up again. never being told what i was arrested for or given a phone call.
    Eventually being told that "it was mistaken identity". When i went to complain i was told that there was 7 gardai present when i was taken in and i attacked them. now its there word against mine so i left it.
    Im afraid the gardai abuse there power sometimes, but its not a direct power they have. they have the power to enforce the law but some individules make them up as they go along.
    if i had of gotten out and went for another walk im sure i would have been arrested. i was not loitering or being anti social. whenever i encounter a gardai im polite.
    sometimes they are too.

i mean what can one do when this happens to you. You really are screwed. And to be honest it is frightening to think the people that are paid to enforce the law are capable of breaking it so easily.
    Got pulled in at a check point today and i must have met the nicest Garda in Ireland. Even though my tax was out for three months.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

i mean what can one do when this happens to you. You really are screwed. And to be honest it is frightening to think the people that are paid to enforce the law are capable of breaking it so easily.
    Got pulled in at a check point today and i must have met the nicest Garda in Ireland. Even though my tax was out for three months.

I presume they did you for it ? I'd hate to think that they left you off while other people pay up on time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i have to say...alot of the time when there is a garda after getting himself/herself in the sh*t they close ranks (look at the abbeylara seige thing, mayday riots)..very rarely does a garda get done for anything. If you complain you get harassed and abused by them.

The law assumes that Gardai are law abiding (god knows why) and as such if its ever a case of your word vs a Gardas...the law will take the Gardas (so much for us all being of equal standing under the constitution!)

High time for an independent garda ombudsman with powers to have gardai arrested and jailed for wrong doings while in uniform..they get away with too much as it is.

bullrunner wrote:
    i have to say...alot of the time when there is a garda after getting himself/herself in the sh*t they close ranks (look at the abbeylara seige thing, mayday riots)..very rarely does a garda get done for anything. If you complain you get harassed and abused by them.

The law assumes that Gardai are law abiding (god knows why) and as such if its ever a case of your word vs a Gardas...the law will take the Gardas (so much for us all being of equal standing under the constitution!)

High time for an independent garda ombudsman with powers to have gardai arrested and jailed for wrong doings while in uniform..they get away with too much as it is.
    Quoted for truth... I agree with this 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

bullrunner wrote:

Can you give examples of how they closed ranks during the Abbeylara Siege or in the mayday riots? If I recall corretly, some guards were prosecuted in court for wrong-doings committed in uniform? They 'get away' with too much as it is? Do you think with the introduction of the Garda ombudsman and the new complaints panel, that all this is gonna stop? Its just papering over the cracks. There are and always will be corruption and abuse of powers. Just as there will always be honest and just guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

rondeco wrote:
    Can you give examples of how they closed ranks during the Abbeylara Siege or in the mayday riots? If I recall corretly, some guards were prosecuted in court for wrong-doings committed in uniform? They 'get away' with too much as it is? Do you think with the introduction of the Garda ombudsman and the new complaints panel, that all this is gonna stop? Its just papering over the cracks. There are and always will be corruption and abuse of powers. Just as there will always be honest and just guards.

I'm sick off people shrugging and saying there will always be honest huards and there'll always be the rotten apples. It's not good enough. These guys hold more direct power over people than anyone else in the country. The standards placed on them should be far higher than any other job.

Anyway, as for guards honesty, we all know they're systematic liars. They've already proven the point themselves.

I can but laugh at the blind, unproven accusations made here.

Anyone want to point out where Gardai closed ranks in Abbylara?

Anyone wanna show how we got away with so much over Mayday?

Anyone wanna prove were liars?

I could make accusations against those posting these comments but I will remain silent.

Oh and do I have to post links showing Gardai gettign arrested, charged and prosecuted in court? Who did that? the tooth fairy I suppose.

I can but laugh at the blind, unproven accusations made here.

Anyone want to point out where Gardai closed ranks in Abbylara?

Anyone wanna show how we got away with so much over Mayday?

Anyone wanna prove were liars?

I could make accusations against those posting these comments but I will remain silent.

Oh and do I have to post links showing Gardai gettign arrested, charged and prosecuted in court? Who did that? the tooth fairy I suppose.

No one? Not a soul going to show this? Not even kaiser?

No one? Not a soul going to show this? Not even kaiser?
    Well now, I provided you with several examples of the corruption and apathy demonstrated by some of your colleagues in Coolock in a previous thread, complete with a link to RTE's Primetime coverage (did you watch it btw, and if so, any comment?), but your reaction if I recall was to basically accuse me of making it all up.

Come back to me on that and then ask me about Abbylara/May day

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Well now, I provided you with several examples of the corruption and apathy demonstrated by some of your colleagues in Coolock in a previous thread, complete with a link to RTE's Primetime coverage (did you watch it btw, and if so, any comment?), but your reaction if I recall was to basically accuse me of making it all up.

Come back to me on that and then ask me about Abbylara/May day

And have you ever been able to backup any of your allegations with evidence? Nope not a shred, you have however stated willingly that the Gardai take 5 minutes to respond when theres a complaint against you, that the senior ranks, politicians (Arent Labour and SF prominent in your area?) as well as the complaints board all found your accusations to be nothing more than lies and wild imaginings.

Sounds like the Gardai in Coolock have a good response time when genuine complaints are made, may I ask why your neighbours complain about you on a regular basis?

As for your allegations, I dont need to comment, pretty much everyone around you already has.

And have you ever been able to backup any of your allegations with evidence? Nope not a shred, you have however stated willingly that the Gardai take 5 minutes to respond when theres a complaint against you, that the senior ranks, politicians (Arent Labour and SF prominent in your area?) as well as the complaints board all found your accusations to be nothing more than lies and wild imaginings.

Sounds like the Gardai in Coolock have a good response time when genuine complaints are made, may I ask why your neighbours complain about you on a regular basis?

As for your allegations, I dont need to comment, pretty much everyone around you already has.
    Typical Garda response.. let's just dismiss all the stories of anti-social behavior in council estates all over this country as the "lies and wild imaginings" of a few malcontents. In your mind no doubt, anyone who posts anything negative about the Gardai on Boards is making it up too. :rolleyes:

Like I asked you already, did you even WATCH the Prime Time investigation I linked to??? Are you going to tell me that local Gardai are unaware of who's carrying out these attacks on innocent tenants who just want to live their lives and raise their families in peace?

Your whole attitude - namely to just flatly deny anything that shows the Gardai in a bad light - more than adequately illustrates the "closing ranks" comment someone else made in this thread.

As for evidence, why is it that despite being provided with hours and hours of video and several statements over the years, noone has ever even been questioned in regarding to the ongoing harassment my mother has been subjected to for the past 18 years? Why is it that others on that Prime Time report had similar video evidence yet nothing was ultimately done by the Gardai?

Since you have a few friends down there, why don't you go ask Inspector Cryan of Coolock where he gets off accusing me of "wasting his time" (in regards to the incident with my car a few months back) when the entire incident was recorded clearly on video (his subsquent remarks to my mother about it are on audio tape) and presented, with a statement, to one of his officers at the time. Why don't you go find out why Noel McLoughlin is always "unavailable" regardless of what time/day you call?

To be fair, and as I've said before, there are indeed decent and honorable members of the Gardai out there, but the corruption, arrogance, and sense of "untouchability" that some of them seem to have is spreading through the force like a cancer. Is that perhaps also why you (the Gardai that is) are so resistant to the Volunteer Force idea - because it means the general public will be able to see first-hand the abuses of authority and trust (placed in them) that so many of your colleagues seem to indulge in?

As I said, watch the report (plenty of video evidence and first-hand reports there), then come back to me.. until then you're just proving my point for me!

I am aware of anti-social behaviour, its you I think is the loon not everybody else.

Advertisement