Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head skimming in dublin

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Im pretty sure the car doesnt need skimming,but with over 100000 miles on the clock i thought id better be on the safe side. Anyone know where to get it done and roughly how much? Appreciate any experiences anyone else has had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

If you removed the cyl head or the engine is overheating you should get the head skimmed and fit new head gasket, With that kind of milage you should consider a head overhall if the car is worth it. Loftys Farrell in Harolds Cross Ph 4540609 will skim it for about 50 euro you will have to remove the yourself or get a mechanic to remove it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll second Lofty Farrell. Great machine shop. You could eat your dinner off the floor in that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

its not that its overheating,but i think it takes more coolant than it should. and for the sake of a 100euro for skimming,bolts,gaskets its well worth it. peace of mind costs! may do the belt,pump and tensioner while im there. unfortunate thing is it leaves me carless for a few days.
    anyone any idea how long it takes to skim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yep Lofty Farrel did my cylinder head a few years back !

It takes a few hours, you'll probably leave it with them for 48 hours !

I would suggest a proper diagnosis first though or you could spend time and money and have the same fault !

Advertisement