Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi guys, does anyone know a good mechanic in dublin 8? im new to all this its my 1st car and dont know!
    the cars in my carpark, how do i get it to the mechanic do i have to hire a tow company or something :confused: also how expensive is it likely to be...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's wrong with the car? Give us as much detail as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ck100

basically i left it for a few weeks and the battery went dead, tried jump starting and that didnt work.....
    got a new battery and it went flat very quick. charged the new battery and when i put it in i turned the key and the wipers/radio etc worked but when i turned the ignition everything went dead again....... after some clicking noises....

When the battery died the first time and you tried to jump start it, would it just not start or not even turn over? When you replaced the battery did the car run at all, or did it still refuse to start?

it started but held no charge, the second battery lasted a weekend and died and when i charegd it and tried it again the wipers etc worked but the ignition cut everything out and its totlly dead :(

Right, so the battery's not charging. I'm not a mechanic, but you'd have to suspect the alternator. Do you know anyone who's an AA member? If you could get the AA out they'd tell you what's wrong and tow you to a garage of your choice free of charge. This way, if the AA man said it was the alternator you could call around, find a place that would fit a reconditioned one cheaply and then get the AA to tow the car there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes this very much sounds like an alternator problem rather than the battery itself as Anan1 suggests.

is this a big problem to fix?

I can't imagine a reconditioned alternator is too expensive either to buy or to fit. That said, we're still not sure it's the alternator.Do you know anyone who's in the AA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

i know a mechanic that might help will pm ya... i used him he is based in rathmines he is pretty cheap .... u may just need to give him a call and see what he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Ok what type of car is it
    When the car did start were there any lights showing on the dash
    is the fan belt on or possibly fallen off ( rubber band front of engine just behind radfiator )
    Are you sure you fitted the battery back in correctly + to the red lead of your car - to the black !

• Advertisement

Right ck100, I don't know whether you've jinxed me or not but my alternator failed yesterday! I've just got the car back now, I brought it to a place called Hamiltons in Grantham Place, just off Camden St near the Bleeding Horse pub. I found them very helpful, they had the job done in 3 hours at a cost of €135. I'd recommend you call them for a chat, see what they say. The number is 01 4755157.

hi guys, thanks for the info and numbers! its a 95 micra.. the light swent on and when i switched the ignition everything went off and stayed off :(
    ill bring the car there, i dont know anyone in the aa so ill have to figure a way to get it there...

Advertisement