Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Privately

Options
  • 19-07-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am in the process of selling my car privately. What are the steps to be taken once a deal has been struck? In particular what documents have to change hands etc. Also my tax is due at the end of the month. Will the change of ownership cover that or should I contact the tax office as soon as it is sold?

Cheers
    Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

First of all, make sure that you have the money before parting with the car. This means cash or bank draft only, cheques take time to clear and can be stopped. When handing over the car, you have the seller fill out the back of the VLC (Vehicle Licencing Certificate). Instructions are on the form. You then retain the form and post it back to vehicle licensing yourself. That's it, you don't need to worry about the tax as the car will no longer belong to you. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Anan1 wrote:
    First of all, make sure that you have the money before parting with the car. This means cash or bank draft only, cheques take time to clear and can be stopped. When handing over the car, you have the seller fill out the back of the VLC (Vehicle Licencing Certificate). Instructions are on the form. You then retain the form and post it back to vehicle licensing yourself. That's it, you don't need to worry about the tax as the car will no longer belong to you. Hope this helps.
    Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would be wary of even a draft, there are a lot of dodgy forged ones going around.

blorg wrote:
    I would be wary of even a draft, there are a lot of dodgy forged ones going around.
    yeah but for what I'm selling cash isnt an option. I think the best I can do is get a draft (and get it to the bank as soon as possible), as well as taking a copy of licence as well as a photo of the buyer. If its not cash I dont think that you will ever be 100% sure. I cant imagine a buyer giving you the draft and waiting for 3 days before taking the car either - this would be too much of a risk for them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a draft and ring the bank of which it is drawn to confirm authenticity.

100% reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Remember to take your insurance disc off as well... always something that slips my mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I forgot that one last time too.

cheers - ringing the bank is a good idea - I must make sure that the transaction is done during work hours
    I was thinking about the insurance disc last night - definitely one to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Don't forget to hand over the NCT Cert (the full thing). I bought a second hand car and had trouble getting insurance as the insurance companies wanted to see the NCT and the previous owner kept it.

I'm talking about the full page, the one that the windscreen disk is in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TheBazman wrote:
    yeah but for what I'm selling cash isnt an option. I think the best I can do is get a draft (and get it to the bank as soon as possible), as well as taking a copy of licence as well as a photo of the buyer. If its not cash I dont think that you will ever be 100% sure. I cant imagine a buyer giving you the draft and waiting for 3 days before taking the car either - this would be too much of a risk for them

If you want to be absolutely sure, bring the buyer with his passport & the draft to your bank and lodge it on the spot. I've done this before when buying cars in the UK, a genuine buyer will understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Anan1 wrote:
    If you want to be absolutely sure, bring the buyer with his passport & the draft to your bank and lodge it on the spot. I've done this before when buying cars in the UK, a genuine buyer will understand.
    I would be much more keen on this idea, or alternatively go to his bank and do an electronic transfer into your account. I just would not trust a draft in this day and age (I have a bit of experience with this.)

ianobrien wrote:
    Don't forget to hand over the NCT Cert (the full thing). I bought a second hand car and had trouble getting insurance as the insurance companies wanted to see the NCT and the previous owner kept it.

I'm talking about the full page, the one that the windscreen disk is in the corner.
    The car is only 2 yrs old so NCT not an issue

Advertisement