Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash Course for Advanced Driving

Options
  • 19-07-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

I am always amazed at the great driving skill, courage and agility of the garda driving (especially the unmarked cars but also the Motorbike crew).

It must take more than just training, lots of skill and grit determination also, to whizz through congested traffic at speed. I must say they deserve a lot of praise and I think they're real pros.

Does anyone know of any motoring school that offers advanced driving skills/technique.

Ideally I'm looking for venue that caters for high speed urban driving, a kind of crash course if you like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Here you go:http://www.iam.org.uk/

You'll have to actually listen though, otherwise you won't learn anything.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Anan1 wrote:
    Here you go:http://www.iam.org.uk/

You'll have to actually listen though, otherwise you won't learn anything.;)

Thanks for that, have no fears, my listening skills are perfect it just what I'm hearing is the problem!!
    S

I had to go to Kilkenny for my training & test, but that was 4 years ago. They may well be able to do it in Dublin now. In any case, I found the whole thing well worthwhile. If you're insured with Hibernian, they'll give you a discount of 20-30% when you pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I am always amazed at the great driving skill, courage and agility of the garda driving (especially the unmarked cars but also the Motorbike crew).

A friend of mine is a guard and has done the advanced driving course. She told me that quite a lot of it is down to observation about what drivers around you are doing and defensive driving.

For example, she said that if someone ahead at a junction turns into your path, there's an 80% chance that that person will turn off again within 2km of the junction where you first encountered them turning, so be prepared for them to turn off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why would you ever need to drive at high speed in a built up urban area?

Might consider getting a better handling car too ;)

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    Why would you ever need to drive at high speed in a built up urban area?

Might consider getting a better handling car too ;)

Maybe he's tired of looking at the back ends of Alfas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

haha, very true...sexy backends too

Advertisement