Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stain/Dye to furniture

Options
  • 19-07-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Need some help lads. I want to stain/dye some kitchen furniture (dresser & cupboard). I've sanded them down & they're ready to go. Spoke to a fella in a paintstore & he said the best thing would be to get whitewash & thin it right down, apply with a sponge and wipe off pretty quickly. Then varnish over. The units are pine but I just want them a lighter shade to suit our kitchen.

Appreciate any advice, if any of you think a different plan of attack would be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

It sounds good, I suppose he means lime to bleach the wood, are you trying for a transparent white limed effect (like limed Oak)? or are you going to neutralise and wash off the lime (after five minutes or so) and just have bleached pine?

There is some potion to neutralise the lime and stop the bleaching but I forget exactly, it was in a magazine, hopefully someone will post some details, I'd like to try a bleached finish on freestanding kitchen furniture. It's something like a few drops of vinegar in a water mix or something... all of this will presumably raise the grain which can be lightly sanded afterwards.

Lime is highly caustic and a single drop can and does cause blindness, I've seen people have serious problems with whitewash, so it's definetely worth wearing googles... :)

Cheers
    Joe

Freestanding Shaker Kitchens

Advertisement