Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

megan brake servo

Options
  • 19-07-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a megan hatch 2003 i got 3 months ago from a main dealer, it had only 17'000 miles when i got it and 20'400 now.

I have had it back a few times to them, once for noisey brakes, which they fixed and one or two other unrelated things.

Last night I was driving with my family and I got a bad burnig smell ,it was coming from the brakes and also the brake pedel got very hard to press, I rang the dealer this morning ,he told me to bring it in right away which I did to find out that the brake servo has gone on it.They will have to order it in and gave me a replacement car.

The whole job will be covered by warranty but I was wondering is it a big job and if I had to pay, how much would it cost for the part and labour ?
    Also is this a common problem for the megan or am I just unlucky ?

I have lost all faith in the car and plan on getting rid of it as soon as I can afford it

cheers Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Markjf wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a megan hatch 2003 i got 3 months ago from a main dealer, it had only 17'000 miles when i got it and 20'400 now.

I have had it back a few times to them, once for noisey brakes, which they fixed and one or two other unrelated things.

Last night I was driving with my family and I got a bad burnig smell ,it was coming from the brakes and also the brake pedel got very hard to press, I rang the dealer this morning ,he told me to bring it in right away which I did to find out that the brake servo has gone on it.They will have to order it in and gave me a replacement car.

The whole job will be covered by warranty but I was wondering is it a big job and if I had to pay, how much would it cost for the part and labour ?

I have lost all faith in the car and plan on getting rid of it as soon as I can afford it

cheers Mark

is that the new looking one......

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I've had a 03 Megane II for about 2 years now, it's got 30,000 approx on the clock and I've had zero problems with it. Very comfortable car, nice smooth ride, even considering upgrading to the 2ltr desel version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Stimpyone wrote:
    I've had a 03 Megane II for about 2 years now, it's got 30,000 approx on the clock and I've had zero problems with it. Very comfortable car, nice smooth ride, even considering upgrading to the 2ltr desel version.

Well holy god aren't you a lucky one :rolleyes:

OP : Looking at tonnes of reviews in the past, Squeeky brakes seem to be a very big problem with the new meganes. They all seem to do it so I wouldnt be too woried about that if it creeps up again.

Also do you know if you are under warranty with the garage or were you given a waranty from the garage where you bought the motor, if so that garage will have to pay renault for the expenses. Thats what we had to do with our megane breaking down several times.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

tred wrote:
    is that the new looking one......

Yes it's the new model "shaken that ass" I traded in a laguna for it, now that car was a ball of ****. I guess it's my own fault for going with renault again.

So it's jap's for me from now on.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

HungryJoey wrote:
    Also do you know if you are under warranty with the garage or were you given a waranty from the garage where you bought the motor, if so that garage will have to pay renault for the expenses. Thats what we had to do with our megane breaking down several times.

I was given a 6 month warranty from the garage from the day I bought it so I have till september to get rid of it:)

• Advertisement

Well it should be fixed so under warranty, or atleast I'd demand so anyway :rolleyes:

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Hungryjoe, whats with all the :rolleyes: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Markjf wrote:
    Hi all,

cheers Mark

A work collegue of mine bought a brand new Megane saloon in 2004. His brakes were squeeking like mad from day one. He thought it was normal for a new car to settle in. He got a call from Renault a few months later telling him to bring the car back to the dealer to have new brake pads fitted as apparently the wrong type or incorrect size pads were fitted. Anyway they were changed and the issue was solved. His car has also been back to have the ECU reprogrammed, the ignition coils failed and the car had to be towed to the dealer to have them replaced. He also received another letter recently saying that there was a faulty wiring loom or something to do with the electric windows that needed to be replaced. So he is not having the best of luck with his either.

Maybe your Megane never had the brake pads changed at the time?

Stimpyone wrote:
    Hungryjoe, whats with all the :rolleyes: ?

I dunno force of habbit mabey ? Or mabe seeing it in my signature makes it look common. But anyhow I dont think that was worth a post. PM me if you find anything else wrong.

Hj

Advertisement