Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat TDI chipping,remapping and spoiler questions.

Options
  • 19-07-2006 1:29pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After considering changing my 03 Passat TDI ive decided to stick with it.
    Ive put a nice set of Audi RS6 alloys onto it,am happy with the looks etc but am tempted to get it remapped from 110 bhp to 130 bhp.
    Anyone know of a place around Kildare,Laois,South Dublin area where i can get this done?
    I came across this chip and just wondering if any of you guys have used it and indeed installed yourselves?
    http://www.autobitz.net/tdipd.html
    Also while im at it im considering finishing the car off with a spoiler im thinking maybe your standard Passat spoiler?
    I reckon a large one would look crap?

Heres the car in current state,would a decent spoiler set it off or ruin it?
    imag0684smalled7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

As long as it's tastefully done, a spoiler can be a worthwhile enhancement :D

imag0684smalled7.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hehe nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

You could give Superchips a call
    Dublin
    Mc Namaras Carburation and Injection Center
    20B Nottingham St
    Dublin
    01 8553555
    T : 01 8553558

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leave the spoiler - chav central.

Enquire from your insurer what a +20bhp chip etc. will do to your insurance. Declare the alloys too or you will not get any value for them in the event of the car being stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say leave the spoiler. Quite apart from the fact that I don't like them (which is irrelevant), it will make the car harder to sell. By the way, I've used McNamaras many times over the years and had always found them good until a few years ago, since when I feel their level of service has plummeted. On the issue of chipping, I'd start off with a good trawl through the UK VW boards - see what other owners have done and how happy they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

well i was just getting quoted for my own 02 passat tdi 130bhp and they originally misqouted me on a 100 bhp version. Gave them the amended details and only added abotu 50 euro to the comprehensive cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

SPAS96.jpg
    VW%20-%20Passat%20Styling%20-%20Mattig%20Boot%20Spoiler%20(7-180-60-1000_B01).jpg
    I have seen one or two passats with spoilers put onto them small ones but actually does look quite nice, But You'll either like it or wont like it. This is one car IMO that can look a bit plain on the rear and a spoiler helps remove that look. I know someone who bought a passat last year Comfortline who fitted a spoiler, VW garage did it for him but was pricey as it was a VW spoiler and you know what Garages are like for stuff like that. IIRC cost him around 500 ish.
    But mabe you should leave it. As said above it can look a bit chavish or boy racer. But sometimes it can look good.

If you are planning on keeping the car for a while i'd say go for the Engine remap. That 130BHP is a cracker to have in these Passats. And them alloys you fitted are quite nice, I like them. IMO the small spoiler might finish the car off.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

For a quality remap job try the link below. Upsolute are a top UK company with experience and reliability in this field. I have had 2 cars remapped with
    them. You would get at least 140BHP from a 110 tdi engine. My present
    car is a passat 1.8T 150BHP which i got remapped to 192BHP. So worth
    the money! I paid about 400 euro.

http://www.logicautomotive.ie/index.php

I rang superchips and they quoted 650 euros.
    Apparently they are near Croke Park?
    Ill look into the above link too,cheers guys.

EDIT:
    Thanks a lot Omega man
    Just rang Logic automotive and got a quote of 400 euros,its only up the road from me in Rathcoole and no real traffic headaches.
    Booked in for the morning.
    They reckon bhp will increase 30 to 35 bhp, looking forward to it as them 130 bhp TDIs are wicked.
    Thanks again guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yeah 130BHP is mad power for them passats, It'll be good one to have.

I doubt you'll get 140Bhp though, From the 110Bhp passat ( 104Bhp listed power ) But should be in and around 130ish.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

HungryJoey wrote:
    Yeah 130BHP is mad power for them passats, It'll be good one to have.

It will move on, but it is still only 130bhp...
    HungryJoey wrote:
    I doubt you'll get 140Bhp though, From the 110Bhp passat ( 104Bhp listed power ) But should be in and around 130ish.

Hj

I detest remaps and tuning boxes and will never fit one to a car for as long as I live, but enough about that...

Are you sure the Passat is 110bhp and not 100? I thought the 110 was discontinued in 2001, but am open to correction. I never saw a red "i" facelift passat.

Yeah you could me right about 100 bhp,
    I detest remaps and tuning boxes and will never fit one to a car for as long as I live, but enough about that...
    Can i ask why m8?
    I never saw a red "i" facelift passat.
    Maybe im slow here but what you mean by a red "i" facelift passat ?
    It will move on, but it is still only 130bhp...

True but its all about torque,and these things feel very quick.
    What i like about it is the ease of acceleration with the power band at low revs.
    I dunno maybe im weird but nice brisk acceleration at low revs is more pleasing than at high screamning revs,then again i do enjoy popping into my brothers wrx sti 300 brake for a quick blast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Where is the OP`s original thread gone regaring the 1.6L subaru and some seat yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

Efioanaes wrote:
    I dunno maybe im weird but nice brisk acceleration at low revs is more pleasing than at high screamning revs,then again i do enjoy popping into my brothers wrx sti 300 brake for a quick blast :)

I know. I drive a Focus TDCi with 115bhp that supposedly is about par performance wise with the Golf TDi 130. It is quick, and it does have lots of torque, but I don't think the power is all that breathtaking either.

My dislike of tuning boxes stems from seeing too many people blow engines in machines from trying to get the last ouce of power out of them. I am very much of the opinion that manufacturers build in decent margins for the purposes of longevity. I don't know about the more recent TDi PD engines, but the non PD TDis with differing power outputs had a good few mechanical differences apart from the ECU.

maidhc wrote:
    I know. I drive a Focus TDCi with 115bhp that supposedly is about par performance wise with the Golf TDi 130. It is quick, and it does have lots of torque, but I don't think the power is all that breathtaking either.

My dislike of tuning boxes stems from seeing too many people blow engines in machines from trying to get the last ouce of power out of them. I am very much of the opinion that manufacturers build in decent margins for the purposes of longevity. I don't know about the more recent TDi PD engines, but the non PD TDis with differing power outputs had a good few mechanical differences apart from the ECU.

Yes i agree with tuning boxes but a quality remap from a reliable company is 100% safe. Its a known fact that the when cars are made their performance
    is limited slightly to allow for the poor fuel quality and harsh climate conditions of some countries. I have had many of my cars remapped and seen huge power increases, even better fuel efficiency. If you thrash your car around all the time maybe over long term you will do some clutch damage
    (especially on a diesel with high torque) and certainly wear the brakes and front tyres a bit quicker than before. It will put a smile on your face though,
    believe me!

Well im just back from getting her remapped and i certainly have one huge smile on my face :)
    The power increase from 100 to 133 bhp is simply amazing.
    The difference the 33 brake made is mind boggling.
    Its just lovely having enough power to throw you back in your seat in almost any gear without the need for high revs.
    Only took 2 hours and a cost of 400 euros.

Enjoy it and stay safe!!

Advertisement