Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Open Betting

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas on this? (Culchie?)

I think that Els and Goosen are good prices at 16/1 and 25/1 with pp.

Two good outsiders are Paul Broadhurst and Steve Elkington at 200/1 and 250/1.....

Any views???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭imalegend

Eoghan I think vjay is your man at 16/1 or maybe even david carter at 33-1.He is a good putter which is what it may come down 2 as the course is going to be so hard under foot.Mickleson is overpriced at 12-1 and i would lay tiger all day at 5-1.

as an outsider i like allenby or ames.big odds and will be there with any form.

it could be another 750-1 this week unfortunatly.And as much as id love 2 say harrington is good value at 25-1 im sick of losing on him cos he cant kill a tournament win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The RP is well worth getting today, 8 pages of decent coverage.

I think I will back Vijay and Ames. I don't think the Goose has the recent form, and although I think Harrington is going to nail one sooner or later, I can't be having 25-1 as any kind of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Are there any decent web sites out there for Golf Statistics. I'd be really interested in finding any stats for each player (their current form, total prize money). It would also be great to dig a bit deeper and see each golfers record at a particular course, I know very few if any have even played at Hoylake but for other tournaments this would be useful.

I'd also be interested in seeing the record of each American player in European events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Plenty of players at big prices who could give us a run for our money here. Tiger is back to defend his Open title and seems to be back on form following his layoff due to the death of his dad. (came 2nd to Immelmann in a US Tour event last week) However there are enough doubts about the Tiger for us to take him on. Especially as he's a very scabby 5-1. A lot of people will probably tempted by recent Scottish Open winner Johann Edfors(100/1) but Pighead would be wary of a bet on him as his previous 4 tournament finishes read 140th 157th 80th and 60th.

Heres the 5 outsiders who Pighead shall be cheering on this week.

Jim Furyk- 33/1 Pigheads bestest friend this season. Jims always gives you a run for your money and is having a cracking season(currently 2nd on the US Money Earners list). His recent form includes a 2nd in the US Open and a 4th last week in the Western Open. For a player who has 12 top 25 finishes from 16 events played 33/1 represents cracking each way value. Especially as Paddy Powers are offering Each Way for the top 6.

Luke Donald- 22/1: Was extremely impressed with Luke Donald during the Scottish Open over the weekend. His 66 yesterday was a great round of golf and but for a few missed putts in his disappointing 3rd round 70 he may well have won his maiden title. Has been playing most of his tournaments in America this year and is comfortably in the top 20 on the money list.

Paul Casey- 40/1: Without doubt the most in form player on the tour at the moment. In his last 6 tournaments his figures read 5th 2nd 11th 15th 1st 20th. And that 20th place would have been top 3 but for a final round 77. Winning the Johnnie Walker classic at Gleneagles was just reward for his consistency over the past couple of months. Pighead reckons Casey is a decent bet at 40/1

Paul Broadhurst- 200/1
    : The last few years have produced some shock winners (Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie) of the British Open so I'm gonna go for a big outsider for my final pick. Broadhurst is having a decent season and currently lies 9th in the Order of Merit. He came 2nd in the Welsh Manor Open last month and is the only player in the whole field to have won an event at this years British Open venue Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Hoylake.

Trevor Imellman is apparently a major doubt for the open due to his wife about to drop a sprog. If he withdraws then Pighead shall go for Ian "crazy pants" Poultor at 66/1.

All bets are each way. Paddy Power offering E/W for top 6.

Good Luck to all who have a bet and hopefully we get a cracking tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Golf is a hard game to call, read somewhere during the week that in the last five British Opens (or was it all majors?) that two of the top five have been at 100/1 or greater. Nice to have an interest but not one for the big gamblers. Personally I fancy a fiver each way on Kenny Perry at 150/1, PP paying six places. Apparently it's a tough enough course, lot depends on the wind so if your player trailing by a few shots going into Saturday you still in a with a good shout on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'm going for Bjorn, Leonard, Monty, Harrington, Langer, Jimenez and McGinley.

If they are running well, hope to trade off on betfair for a free ride on Sunday.

Really fancy McGinley this week to have a good tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Posted this in the Golf forum already, but I think Tim Clarke has a great chance of a good Open.

He's playing very consistently lately. Got him at 66/1 with The Track, beats any odds I could get anywhere else, even betfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I came to the conclusion that even a couple of fivere each way fun-bets are a waste of money, it's too open, I will be sitting back with my remotes and just enjoying it. Well I might have a couple of match bets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

WIRATCHANT, Thaworn at 600 (-5) on Betfair.
    HENSBY, Mark at 110 (-4) on Betfair.

I'll be looking to trade out if they hit a few birdies.

Tiger Woods is a trading opportunity. I've laid him, and will be looking to make a bit as his price fluctuates.

Fresh from selling my bets on Oscar Pereiro Sio in the Tour de France for an €1800 profit. It could have been €14000 (180/1) but Floyd Landis ruined it with a good ride on Thursday so I had to sell.
    And won €7000 on Sir Percy in the Derby.

I like big odds, and events that run over a long time.

[edit]
    Oh well. Looks like I know sweet FA about golf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement