Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery problems

Options
  • 19-07-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I had a problem with my car. My father was driving it, and he forgot to turn off the immobilizer, and ran the battery dead.

He jump started it, and It work fine. then that evening, The battery was dead again. On sunday I jump started again and I could see that the altenator was charging the battery, however the battery is not holding the charge. So I got a friend to get me another battery. I put the battery in last night and the car started fine. However this morning the battery was nearly dead.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could happen??

When putting the battery in last night, I am not totally convinced that I put the battery in the right way (ie positive wire to positive terminal and vice versa) as the new battery is different to the old battery and there is no markings on the cables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

schlaps wrote:
    Over the weekend I had a problem with my car. My father was driving it, and he forgot to turn off the immobilizer, and ran the battery dead.
    How exactly can you forget to turn off the immobilizer? I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

schlaps wrote:

When putting the battery in last night, I am not totally convinced that I put the battery in the right way (ie positive wire to positive terminal and vice versa) as the new battery is different to the old battery and there is no markings on the cables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beleive me, if you got the connections wrong when putting in the battery, you would soon know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Go for a long drive after you jump it. Running the car for 10 mins won't do it. Afully charged battery should read 12.6V about 1/2 an hour after the engine has been switched off. A completely empty battery will read 11.8V.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭schlaps

fletch: Its a 1995 nissan primera. The immobilizer kicks in 30 seconds after you pull the key out of the ignition. My father kept clicking the wrong button(turning the immobilizer on) and drained the battery

gyppo: What exactly would happen if you connect a battery up wrong??

zuutroy: On the old battery after getting it started, I drove from wexford to Galway on sunday (roughly 3 and half hours). With the new battery, I just started the car and it worked fine, so I turned it off within a minute. All new batteries come fully charged. So thats why Im thinking I might have wired up battery wrong, somehow draining the battery or there could be some electrical problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

You would most probably see lots of smoke

• Advertisement
Advertisement