Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search for the most expensive coffee and Sandwhich in Ireland

Options
  • 19-07-2006 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I went into a cafe in sandyford and ordered, a cappachino and chicken and pesto sandwhich, the total bill was 11.45! I hadnt even looked at the menu to be honest as I was starving, looked at the menu and sure enough the sambo was 7.50 or something like that and coffee bumped it up to 11.45

So sure of the total price as I just got my laser statement.

So I was thinking can this be created as a sticky to find Ireland most expensive coffee and sambo combo!

I havent named the shop until the mod's clarify if that would be allowed, so I suggest others follow suit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Expensive coffee in a hotel overlooking the late great bass player from Thin Lizzie. The newspapers are free, I think!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Heinrich wrote:
    Expensive coffee in a hotel overlooking the late great bass player from Thin Lizzie. The newspapers are free, I think!:D
    Any idea how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

dbnavan wrote:
    Any idea how much?

Can't say offhand as I was invited to afternoon tea.

Got this from a review:
    Went for the afternoon tea in the Terrace Room. Staff friendly and polite. Tea comprised one plate of sandwiches (3 quarters each), a plate of 2 scones each with butter, jam, cream and a top plate of 3 small cakes each. The tea itself was very good. Overall,a good experience. Mind you, at the prices - luckily paid for with a prize voucher, so it should be, 21 euro each with 12.5% service charge automatically added on top.
    Browsed at the Bar service menu to see what else was on offer. General hot/cold drinks seemed as expensive as you would expect in a 5* (4-5 euro for tea/coffeee), whilst the range of wines on offer seemed very predictable with what looked like almost outrageous mark-ups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

dbnavan wrote:
    I havent named the shop until the mod's clarify if that would be allowed, so I suggest others follow suit.

No problem.

Dub13 wrote:
    No problem.
    Ok so it was browne's in sandymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

ok, it wasnt in Ireland, but, 2 sambos, 2 cokes, and one coffee (just ordinary coffee, not latte or any o that fancy stuff).... €90

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Doktor wrote:
    ok, it wasnt in Ireland, but, 2 sambos, 2 cokes, and one coffee (just ordinary coffee, not latte or any o that fancy stuff).... €90

Pairs or Tokyo...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Cafe Punch in Harrods. About £14stg for a sandwich. With a glass of wine & a coffee, it's more expensive than most decent restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If you are gonna start comparing prices surely it has to be for the same coffee and the same sandwich.

BendiBus wrote:
    Cafe Punch in Harrods. About £14stg for a sandwich. With a glass of wine & a coffee, it's more expensive than most decent restaurants.
    Harrods?? In Dublin?? excepting the queens money? where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Dub13 wrote:
    Pairs or Tokyo...?

London

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

dbnavan wrote:
    Any idea how much?

I was in the Westbury last week, they charged about €25 for two rounds of sandwiches (a round being two slices of bread with a filling), one ham, the other chicken, and a small pot of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hotel in Leeds

Paid £11 for a breakfast roll and £2 for a glass of orange juice.
    Sorry it's not an Irish example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

micmclo wrote:
    Hotel in Leeds

Paid £11 for a breakfast roll and £2 for a glass of orange juice.
    Sorry it's not an Irish example

Ha Ha, not only were you ripped off, but you had to pay in the Queens money, even better I'm vaguely related to her so you had to pay in my money!!!!

TBH don't think I have ever paid over the odd's for a sandwich, maybe it's because I don't eat out alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

If it was a cafe, Id make an excuse and simply not pay. (without making a scene)
    But if it was a fanchy-smanchy west brit hotel where one would expect to pay this, I would have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It over €10 for a bacon buttie (altho it's called something like smoked gammon with Irish bread and real cow butter) in the Burlington.

Very small (they cut it into circles) and very average. Company was paying so I didn't mind

Advertisement