Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning Tar Off Seats

Options
  • 19-07-2006 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Anyone know a good way of doing it? In this weather it's awful hard to keep it off them, especially with the kids. I've got cream seats unfortunately too.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I use Tesco Value tissue(Single ply.), as it happens a lot. I'm not made of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

WD 40 is great at removing tar splashes from bodywork. Simply spray on, leave for a couple of mins and the tar literally dissolves and can be washed off. Seating might be tricky.

Alternative would be white spirits, dab on, leave and dab off BUT do not rub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, rubbing is the cause of the problem for me, good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

WD 40 is great at removing tar splashes from bodywork. Simply spray on, leave for a couple of mins and the tar literally dissolves and can be washed off. Seating might be tricky.

Alternative would be white spirits, dab on, leave and dab off BUT do not rub.

On the bodywork, another thing to use is petrol, spray it on, but make sure you wax the car afterwards. I'm guessing leather seats? If so I reckon white spirits could do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have heard Coca Cola is great for this type of thing, but have not tried it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

Squirrel wrote:
    On the bodywork, another thing to use is petrol, spray it on, but make sure you wax the car afterwards. I'm guessing leather seats? If so I reckon white spirits could do the trick

They're like normal seats. I think the guy called it velour when he sold it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Vanish dry cleaner. No problkem and the smell will go away quickly, unlike the above. Avaialable in most supermarkets !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Padwick wrote:
    They're like normal seats. I think the guy called it velour when he sold it to me.

I'd use a proper cleaning agent on velour seats, and as MercMad says, one that wouldn't leave a smell.

Advertisement