Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a regulation relating to high temperatures in the workplace

Options
  • 18-07-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

My office has no a/c and regularly runs into the 30s celcius. Today was unbelievably hot.

Is there a regulation or law concerning temperatures in the office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Nope theres not any regulation, just a recommnedation in some building code of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

FinoBlad wrote:
    My office has no a/c and regularly runs into the 30s celcius. Today was unbelievably hot.

Schedule 2, Regulation 17, Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General) Application Regulations 1993

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI44Y1993.html#ZZSI44Y1993A63

2. Ventilation of enclosed places of work

(1) Steps shall be taken to ensure that there is sufficient fresh air in enclosed places of work, having regard to the working methods used and the physical demands placed on the employees.

(2) Where a forced ventilation system is used, it shall be maintained in working order.

(3) Any deposit or dirt likely to create an immediate danger to the health of employees by polluting the atmosphere shall be removed without delay.

3. Room temperature

(1) During working hours, the temperature in rooms containing workstations shall be adequate for human beings, having regard to the working methods being used and the physical demands placed on the employees.

(2) The temperature in rest areas, rooms for duty staff, sanitary facilities, canteens and first-aid rooms shall be appropriate to the particular purpose of such areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ok there is regs but they are very broad and dont mention specific temperature limits that must be obeyed, therefore they are fairly unenforceable and the workplace doesnt have to put in an ac system or anything.

Its Ireland so these temps wont last much longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Thanks for the info anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Ok there is regs but they are very broad and dont mention specific temperature limits that must be obeyed, therefore they are fairly unenforceable and the workplace doesnt have to put in an ac system or anything.

Its Ireland so these temps wont last much longer...
    Breach of the regulations is an offence under the act which carries a fine of up to €1,000. If you are injured (i.e. heat stroke) or suffer any damage due to a breach of the regulations you can take civil action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I may look to invoke this provision myself.

And you'd think that a firm of solicitors would be well up on the legal obligations placed on them regarding the workplace enviroment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is this a thread looking for advice on what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

seamus wrote:
    No... he just asked if there was a law in place with relation to temperature in a work place...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

seamus wrote:

I've no intention of taking legal proceedings but I would have liked to point out to my employer that the office environment was in breech of some regulation and get them to spend a few bob on some air conditioning / better ventilation or an independent assesment by an environmental health person.

The heat aggrivates a sinus problem I have every year resulting in headaches, nausea and blurred vision and makes working difficult. Like I said I'm not looking to sue, but to leverage some better working conditions.

Thanks again to the posters for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

DaveMcG wrote:
    No... he just asked if there was a law in place with relation to temperature in a work place...
    Exactly. Don't worry, as a mod I would hardly endorse the provision/seeking of legal advice in a thread I had posted in myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally 18-28 degrees are considered the acceptable temperatures for indoor work.

Of course, stripping down to your shorts may give your boss some incentive - depending. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

FinoBlad wrote:

Check out http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA10Y1955.html

This is the Factories Act 1955, it deals with loads of stuff including circulation & temperature in the workplace, not too sure if it is any use but it does make a thermometer in each room in the workplace a statutory requirement! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Advertisement