Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn are no more

Options
  • 18-07-2006 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

:(

I'm gonna miss Turn. :(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Isobar

very sad. :(

I was a fan... oh well, it's a though industry I guess.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Sad to see them going, I've been to more Turn gigs than any other band, more than I can even remember. Up in the teens probably, I used to go all the Dublin ones for a long time. Plenty of memories of the Music Centre in particular (anyone remember when they were going to go off to America and Ollie brought a polaroid camera and took loads of photos of the crowd? Think it was the same one he came out into the crowd singing on a bouncers' shoulders). Was at the launch gigs of In Position, Forward, and the self titled album. Gav's departure was the beginning of the end I think although the Forward launch in Vicar Street and the opening of the Village were triumphs.

Wasn't too fond of the latest album though the rest will always be among my favourites and I'll always play them and sing along.

Hopefully the final tour will be fittingly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought they split up ages ago. Goes to show you what I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Kinda like JJ72 a few weeks ago. All the Irish bands of yesteryear are packing up and moving home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

ah no, they are one of the few irish band i like. thats not good a all. Kind of got that feeling last time i talked to the bassist. Ah well. thanks for the memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

another one of Phantom FMs favourites. Oh well - no great loss methinks.

I was also under the impression they had split up a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Kinda like JJ72 a few weeks ago. All the Irish bands of yesteryear are packing up and moving home.

Dont worry they will do a reunion tour in 2112 just like most other irish bands a few years after they split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

yeah, Turn and Kerbdog tour 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

dimerocks wrote:
    yeah, Turn and Kerbdog tour 2012.

HA! Yeah that would be pretty funny. I have mixed feelings about the Turn split. I used to really like them years back during the Anti-Social days. But I lost interest in them to be honest. Got bored going to see them so often and seeing the same crowd at every gig. The only way I knew they hadn't split up yet is because a mate of mine never really gave up going to their gigs! If any of you guys used to go to them years back, he was was the lad, who used to get up on stage with them all the time. It was cool at first but I think people got annoyed by it eventually! But whatever....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Rich_Why wrote:
    HA! Yeah that would be pretty funny. I have mixed feelings about the Turn split. I used to really like them years back during the Anti-Social days. But I lost interest in them to be honest. Got bored going to see them so often and seeing the same crowd at every gig. The only way I knew they hadn't split up yet is because a mate of mine never really gave up going to their gigs! If any of you guys used to go to them years back, he was was the lad, who used to get up on stage with them all the time. It was cool at first but I think people got annoyed by it eventually! But whatever....

You mean Ciaran? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Actually his name was Andy! Obviously the trend caught on though :D He's probably on boards anyway! More than likely on this thread, **** you could be Andy for all I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Do i look like an Andy?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i was pretty sad to hear that.
    turn was the first irish band that i saw when i moved here (2 bassists ago i think :D ) and i really liked them.
    it makes me so annoyed that the record companies here have no faith in artists and will rip the soul out of them basically.

speaking of JJ72, last year or the year before, ollie did a wee solo tour. he told us that when he originally wrote "in position" (written when jj72 first kinda came onto the scene i think)that instead of singing "..and nothing you do seems right,hanging out with somebody new..is that what sounds good to you?" he sang "..and nothing you do seems right,JJ72..is that what sounds good to you?"..
    i dunno, i thought it was funny!

pretty much explains the irish music scene..there's always another band thats an inch in front of you..or in a better position better than you..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm a big fan of both JJ72 and Turn and both are definitely a big loss to the Irish music scene. Look what's left....Republic Of Loose? The Thrills? (actually are they still going?). My three fav Irish bands of the last 5 or 6 years would easily be Turn, JJ72 and Wilt. All gone. I'm anxious about what the future holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 st_jimmy

Tough being a decent band in this country and I'm sick of seeing all the assholes fly high in the charts.

I really liked Turn and I seen a lot of their gigs but we need bands like Biffy Clyro to make people aware of decent music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm sure there are plenty of bands out there waiting to be discovered and supported that could easily be the next Turn or whatever. Who would want to be the next Turn I don't know but you get my point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

John2 wrote:
    I'm sure there are plenty of bands out there waiting to be discovered and supported that could easily be the next Turn or whatever. Who would want to be the next Turn I don't know but you get my point.

You're sure? Well then do tell...

Advertisement