Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic exhaust

Options
  • 18-07-2006 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

While away on holiday recently I did alot of drivng around hilly countryside. One day the sound of my engine appeared to change from its usual quiet hum to a typically loud boy-racer style 'honk', especially when excellerating in lower gears.

Do I need a new exhaust/exhaust box? If so what would it be likely to cost?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sounds like you have a hole in the exhaust system somewhere, try to ID to part that needs to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

Thanks kluivert. Would that mean replacing the exhaust or is it possible to patch the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

alansan wrote:
    Thanks kluivert. Would that mean replacing the exhaust or is it possible to patch the hole?

There are many products out there to patch exhaust holes, putty tape etc. most of these are not accepted for the nct though, that is if they spot it.

you can get it welded also but not the boxes as far as i know only the pipe. I dont know how many parts are on a civic exhaust but if its a pipe only part it should be cheap ehough if its a box will cost more. you would be lucky to get one in a breakers yard. Try an add in the buyandsell if you dont wanna go to dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The exhaust normally comes in three of four parts,

Manifold, carb, mid section and back box(tail pipe), just replace the part with the hole, to ensure that you keep the right outlet exhaust pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

Thanks for the info, very helpful for this car maintenance newbie:rolleyes: At least I'll know what to say when I take it to the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi alansan,

Kluivert is right, the Civic exhaust system comes in three parts and from what you describe you've a hole in it.

96-2000 Civic have are prone to suffering holes in their back box around the mountings and this is probably what's gone (unless you hit something). I replace mine about six weeks ago and cost €110 off Kwikfit.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement