Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco car insurance

Options
  • 18-07-2006 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm relatively new to this forum, so not sure if this is allowed....if it's a problem, it can be moved/locked.

I got my insurance renewal yesterday and I've been doing a bit of research on the net this morning. I checked out Tesco's website as I'd just heard an ad on the radio and their quote is coming in €100 cheaper than anybody else & almost €300 cheaper than renewing my existing policy.

I'm just wondering has anybody dealt with them? Is it really as good as it seems? Or are there hidden exclusions? I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Tesco is underwritten by Hibernian, so it's pretty much as good as going with them. They offer the same extras (journeywise extension is the one that jumps to mind). I'm with them and haven't had any issues, that said I haven't had to deal with them.

They may also require that you do the ignition course before you can take the quote, but it's not hard to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't claim a non-drinker discount and then buy drink in Tesco with your clubcard.
    Big brother is watching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Had 2 policies with Hibernian Direct. Changed both to Tesco (Hibernian broker) and saved about 60 euro on each when the 50euro off introductory offer was taken into account. Without the offer it wouldn't have been worthwhile changing. Policies now seem to be same as the ones we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

thanks for the feedback....sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Hagar wrote:
    Don't claim a non-drinker discount and then buy drink in Tesco with your clubcard.

What is th story with no-drinker
    How do you prove you are one?
    How do they prove that you are not?
    how does it effect your premium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hagar wrote:

?

My dad is a non-drinker, but he regularly buys drinks for guests, or wine for my mam, or to sponser prizes for golf, or as gifts for people.
    Non-Drinkers do purchase alcohol aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I know that. I'm just making a point. Many people do not realise the extent of the information that Tesco, and others I might add, glean from your purchases via their clubcards. If you were claiming a non-drinker's bonus and could be proven to be a very regular purchaser of alcohol, not an occassional gift of a bottle of wine, it might be claimed that you made a false non-drinker declaration which could void your policy. Far-fetched? Maybe, but insurance companies are a law unto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't drink and drive. But I do drink, so I wouldn't be claiming it anyway.

But I agree that tesco definitely analyse your purchases as the money off vouchers I receive (for specific products) are nearly always ones I would use. Whereas I know my brother used to get ones for pet food and stuff, but he would have been buying it on a regular basis. And while I'm not an alcoholic, there would be a bottle of wine in my shopping most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've been insured with Tesco for the last year. They're marginally more expenisve than Quinn Direct, but the policies come with the same bells and whistles that you get with the Hibernian policies. Insured myself online - Paid by credit card, got a confirmation email, and presto I was insured to drive my car straight away (I rang them to make doubly sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I received my car insurance renewal from the AA in April and they quoted me €440, so I tried the Tesco insurance website and it only worked out €25 cheaper. When I contacted the AA to tell them I had gotten a cheaper quote, they put me on hold for a minute and then came back and said they'd insure me for €380.

I'm 37 with about 17 years No Claims Bonus so I'm a fairly good risk as far as car insurance goes. I find that no matter what the AA quote me each year, when I call them up and tell them that so and so gave me a cheaper quote, the AA either matches it or gets me a cheaper quote. It pays to phone around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement