Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would cause an engine to stop firing on one cylinder?

Options
  • 18-07-2006 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly (1968) 3cly diesel engine that seems to stop firing on 1 cylinder once it gets hot... it is grand when cool. I suspect (but may be wrong) it it isn't firing as the engine note seems to change gradually from a slightly off-centre beat to a more even but coarse sounding "banging". It also loses a share of power and is slow to rev.

The engine in question is fitted to a Ford tractor, but it is the same idea as anything fitted to a car or van.

The air filter is clean, and it was serviced during the winter. It was parked up for the past 10 years, so perhaps a valve might be stuck, but the hot/cold thing is confusing me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm no mechanic, but has it had an oil change recently? Could it be that when warm it's losing oil pressure to the point where it's not running smoothly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If not a valve tightening up when it gets hot maybe be a cracked liner/head ? the crack usually opens as it warms up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Oil has been changed, and still is clear. Oil pressure seems OK... and the engine has not seized yet! :)

If the cylinder liner was cracked would there be water in the oil, or vice versa? It has wet liners AFAIK. It is annoying me as it was going fine a few weeks ago.

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

3cyl , '68. What is it a Yanmar Boat engine or a Perkins tractor engine.

I'd look for liquid diesel in the exhaust, if none.
    Can you place your fingers on the injector fule line tubes and determine if one one is pulsing significantly differnt to the others.

Take a spanner and crack open the fuel line nut at the injector, each one in turn. When you hit the effected cyl, the engine note will not alter (it's already dead).

I suspect a bad injector that goes further out of spec when heated.

When did you last exchange the injectors?

I see later it is fitted to a Ford, what would that be a Dexta or a 2/3000.

They had Simms in-line piston pumps did they not?.

And you could switch injectors see if the problem follows the injector or remains with te Cyl/pump.

Advertisement