Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Intresting Little Problem - Ideas?

Options
  • 18-07-2006 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay guys first off this aint my "Famous Punto" :D Instead its my brothers punto sporting with the problem, identical car only his is a '03.

He recently got some work done under the bonnet.... noting crazy but it still involved taking the engine outta the car, something to do with the gearbox but noting to the extent of mind. This was around 2 weeks ago but since then there is a noise slowly getting louder and louder during acceleration.
    It happens in 2nd, 3rd and 4th but not in 1st, 5th or 6th

It kinda like the sound ya'd get for the engine if you had it in too high a gear while going to slow a speed but add more of a loud rattle to the mix and ya pretty much have it. It only happends for maybe the first 10seconds of the above gears and then where the car picks up speed in that gear the sound vanishes..... Stop accelrating for a minute and put foot back down and sound returns for a few seconds.

Another thing i noticed is that say if he's driving on a bumpy road the sound comes on a off with each little bump and When the care is idle its ticks over nicely.

Any takers?

He's bringing it back the guy that worked on the gearbox next weel when he gets time off work, but it'd halp if e knew kinda what it is.

Cheers Guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell. You or your family don't seem to be having any luck with Puntos and gear boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

bazz26 wrote:
    Bloody hell. You or your family don't seem to be having any luck with Puntos and gear boxes.

:D I know were bloody cursed.... Alatho my ma has an old one about 8 years and its grand, sister has hers 3 years and only the clutch went.... But with her driving its understandable lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

There is something wrong with one of the mountings, i.e the gearbox linkgage is touching some part of the body or exhaust, its is leaning to much rearwards or forwards, hence it only occurs when the lever is in a forwards position, or when accelerating !

Bring it back, its should bve easy to spot !

Will tell him now.... He said something about leaving it tomorrow so i'll let ya know if your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd have to agree with MercMad - something is slightly 'out of position' when the shift mechanism is forward and vibrating/rubbing under load. Bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

its a cable shift lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

its a cable shift lads...
    Hmmmmmm.....

Maybe a cable is incorrectly secured and rubbing the exhaust as the exh will shift somewhat under load as the engine tilts slightly. But, Maybe!

If the problem only happens in 2,3 & 4 maybe try changing at higher rpm to to see if that stops the rattle.

Obviously the problem is RPM dependant - see if it always happens at the same RPMs. It'll give the mechanic something definite to work with.

This is actually worse than my car as it turns out because the garage cant actually figure out what the noise is. My brother just back now from the FIAT Dealer, he's been out there since like 8.30am this morning so they've been looking at it a good 2 hours. He says they took it for a drive a couple of times and inbetween kept putting it up on the ramp but in the end they cant figure it out.

They've replaced all the gear oil and oiled up just about everything they can see and asked him to drive it untill Friday and if the sound is still happening to bring it out either Friday or Monday morning so they can look further. :eek:

I took it for a drive last night and noticed that it your wait for the RPM to rise to the point where the engine is screaming to be changed and then go up a gear the noise dosnt happen.... but like i said the car has to be screaming!! Its very RPM and Speed sensitive, 3rd seams to be the worst for it but once the car pucks up some speed the noise is gone but by that time its due to go into 4th.

I reckon the garage just tried to fob him off thismorning or maybe the sound will just go away. But its a brand new gearbox thats not even 10 days old and yet it was silent as a mouse when it was first put in and it only got loud a few days later so its hardly "breaking in" :confused:

Advertisement