Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Won't Start - Please Help!

Options
  • 18-07-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

My laptop won't start, no matter how many times i press the 'on' button.

Just happened about five hours ago.

It is quite an old computer (Acer Travelmate 230), but with a modern system.

When i press the 'on' button, it makes some noise, but the screen remains blank. The battery power is shown as fine.

Any idea how i can get it restarted?

Any advice would be hugely gratefully received. (I have my PhD to finish in about a month, and there is a lot of un-backed up data on this laptop - although thankfully not all the data is unbacked up).

Two questions:

1) How can i get my laptop to start up (even in emergency format)?

2) If the laptop can't be restarted, is there anyway i can just get the data off the laptop? (this would be a critical help).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

first guess is that the power supply is kaput as does happen regularly. How do you know that the battery is ok?

If you need to get at your data you can buy a laptop drive ide adaptor and plug the hard drive into a normal PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As jimmy said if you can't get it working, Maplins have an ide->2.5 adaptor for 8 euro, I got one a few days ago and its great for retrieving stuff off/formatting old laptop hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

perfect, thanks for your help. just on my way down to get one now. very much appreciated.

Advertisement