Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Fiat Punto

Options
  • 17-07-2006 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I need some advice on 99 Fiat Punto's. I got offered one by a fellow worker for between €700 and €900 and it has 61,000 miles.

I just want to know if it's a good car...in long journeys, on country roads...never owned a car before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

In a word, No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Its not a bad car. Mind the issue with the head gasket which is easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

wow that's cheap, even for a punto! Do you trust this guy?

I had a 99 punto and never had a day's trouble. Get a mechanic to look at it first.

I thought it was a grand first car. Wouldn't be great for very long journeys but great as a run-around.

Prepare for the fiat-bashing replies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

quarryman wrote:
    Prepare for the fiat-bashing replies though.

Indeed any trolling crap and there WILL be bans handed out.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

I had a 00 fiat punto and it gave me nothing but problems. I will stay away from them from now on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Blue850

Is it the first shape Punto, they're not a bad little car, back suspension arms bushes wear out, back lamps let in water, worked in a Fiat dealership in 2000 and the mechanics there couldn't figure out how Fiat made such a mess of the Mk2 punto compared to the earlier model. Is there much of an NCT left? Has it got power steering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

susceptible to side winds.
    suspension rolls a lot too but comfortable for long journeys as the driving position\seating is good and as long as you don't drive too quickly the engine noise isn't too intrusive.
    Wheels are narrow so little road noise coming through in to cabin.
    Should be quite economical on an open road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

They dont have a great reputation. All depends on how important it is to get you out of a hole ie. getting to work
    You could always buy for the time being and sell it on asap though.
    Would be lucky though to get half what you paid in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You haven't given much detail but I'll assume it's the old shape and base model 60S. To the best of my knowledge, power steering was still an option (it certainly was in 1998), so obviously it would be best if it has it. There's no electrics in the base model, so the usual stuff you hear about italian electrics is irrelevant. The big things to watch out for are...

head gasket, if you don't know what your looking at, bring someone who does, unfortunately these don't have a temperature gauge, just a little warning light to tell you that your engine has overheated so observing the temperature needle while driving to check the cooling system is behaving as it should is not possible, all the usual checks for white gunk in the oil/coolant, bubbles in the coolant, white smoke in the exhaust, etc... will help but bring someon who knows what they're looking at.

Rear suspension bushings, if you hear a knocking sound coming from the rear when going over bumps, these will most likely be the problem. You can double check by checking for play in the arm between the chassis and the hub.

If it's the higher spec 60SX model or one of the special editions it may have electrics. In my experience, italian electrics are not as bad as some would make out, I have an alfa 156 and have had a fiat bravo in the past and have never had a problem. Family members have various other fiats without issue, but check anyway to make sure everything works as it should.

If it's any of the higher spec sporting/85ELX models, these have a 16 valve engine so it's vital to make sure the timing belt has been done. I've never heard of one snapping but a snapped belt on the 8 valve models just requires a new belt and to be timed up whereas on the 16v you'll probably be looking at a new engine as there will be valve damage.

Other things to watch are the red key, or master key, which you need to program the new keys to the immobiliser should you need them, though I think most auto locksmiths can clone the original key now without the red key.

Edit: at €700, it's already rock bottom price, if it's in decent nick and has an NCT, it's worth it and you'll probably sell it on for the same price in a year or two as long as you havent driven the sh!t out of it in the meantime.

Advertisement