Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus flight forced to turn back [news]

Options
  • 17-07-2006 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0717/aerlingus.html
    An Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Chicago was forced to turn back today when a suspect package was discovered on board.

Flight EI125 was 30 minutes out from Dublin Airport when a member of the cabin crew heard a beeping noise coming from a box in an overhead bin.

The pilot decided to turn back as a precautionary measure and the plane landed at Dublin Airport at 4pm.

Passengers disembarked and security services examined the box. It contained a number of in-flight magazines. There was a ticking noise coming from a piece of medical equipment, which was stored behind the box.

The plane is due to depart for Chicago later this evening.

the airlines own medical equipment ? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

they carry oxegen and defibulators, coz on trans atlantic you can be at least 3hrs from a hospital or medical attention.
    they did the right thing to be honest, nice to see pilots that take no ****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Shouldnt the cabin crew KNOW that there is oxygen/defribulators on board?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I never realised that they used the overhead bins for emergency equipment. I was of the impression that those were for hand luggage, etc. Are you sure it was Aer Lingus', or are you just assuming/speculating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

would i not be happy on that flight. the aircrew should have known. But then again its aer lingus.

The cabin crew are incredibly annoying in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I never realised that they used the overhead bins for emergency equipment. I was of the impression that those were for hand luggage, etc. Are you sure it was Aer Lingus', or are you just assuming/speculating?

look how the phrased it...
    Passengers disembarked and security services examined the box. It contained a number of in-flight magazines. There was a ticking noise coming from a piece of medical equipment, which was stored behind the box.

The beeping wasn't coming from the box, (which was probably the airlines aswell with the inflight mags in it). They saw the box which shouldn't beep. "There was a ticking noise coming from a piece of medical equipment, which was stored behind the box."

Idiots.

• Advertisement

the emergency equipment is kept usually at the rear in a smaller overhead bin and behind the back seats.but with a airbus a330 they could be located around all the galleys.
    look if it was a bomb and they touched it, the plane could heve blown to the ground, they acted totally by the book and responsibil., the airline business is propably one of the most secure. fair play to the cabin crew, and all cabin crew on trans atlantic are highly experienced having been in the job for at least a few years.
    if the plane blew up because they moved or ignored a suspicious package you would be calling them stupid too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the air crew don't even know that there are defibrulators on board and where they are stored what are the chances that they know how to use them? Slim would be my guess.

Hagar wrote:
    If the air crew don't even know that there are defibrulators on board and where they are stored what are the chances that they know how to use them? Slim would be my guess.

believe me they are highly trained and if i know there are and where they are the cabin crew know, its a FAA and CAA requirement for all civillian aircraft to carry them and for at least one person on flight to know how to use them. you are missing the point.
    the package was infront of the equipment likely to be obscuring the full view of it, the equipment usually doesnt make noise, this one was, now this put doubt in the air hostess head. if she moved it and it was a bomb it could blow, so she left it and informed the captain, and it was HIS decision to turn around ,nobody elses.
    he had probably got on the radio to the ground and they advized him to turn around, but as i said its a captains decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair enough, point taken, safety first. I'm just assuming that training would include how the equipment reacts when a battery runs down and a low battery warning noise comes on. If that is what it was.

Hagar wrote:
    Fair enough, point taken, safety first. I'm just assuming that training would include how the equipment reacts when a battery runs down and a low battery warning noise comes on. If that is what it was.

well, to be honest the thing shouldnt be low on power and should have been checked in the pre flight check, this is what the senior hostess is going to get ****ed with if it turns out it was low power. however it could have been accidentally turned on by moving objects at take off or due to turbulence.
    but the funny thing is id imagine it was the cabin crew who put the bag there:confused:, however it could have been put there on a previous flight but as i said a pre flight check should have showed this and as far as i know that bin has to be used only for medical supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kona wrote:
    and as far as i know that bin has to be used only for medical supplies.
    I've been on a bunch of flights recently and the emengency overhead bin was sometime only 50% used and the rest was used for baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Maskhadov wrote:
    would i not be happy on that flight. the aircrew should have known. But then again its aer lingus.

The cabin crew are incredibly annoying in general.

But you don't know the circumstances. You're jumping to conclusions about the event and the crew.

Your happiness would be low on my list of priorities. Especially if you were sharing your superior know-it-all attitude during the event.

I find Aer Lingus cc to be quite good.

Victor wrote:
    I've been on a bunch of flights recently and the emengency overhead bin was sometime only 50% used and the rest was used for baggage.
    stuff shouldnt be there for the obvious reasons and for what has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Side point. When I make a bomb (no current plans ;)), I'm going to make it (a) silent - no ticking or beeping (b) no flashing lights (c) no timer display, or if it must have a timer display it will be designed to detonate when it reaches 00:10:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

kona wrote:
    the emergency equipment is kept usually at the rear in a smaller overhead bin and behind the back seats.but with a airbus a330 they could be located around all the galleys.
    look if it was a bomb and they touched it, the plane could heve blown to the ground, they acted totally by the book and responsibil., the airline business is propably one of the most secure. fair play to the cabin crew, and all cabin crew on trans atlantic are highly experienced having been in the job for at least a few years.
    if the plane blew up because they moved or ignored a suspicious package you would be calling them stupid too.

Electronic Medical Equipment on a Plane! starring Samuel L Jackson...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Yes but when your captain of an airliner over the atlantic and your crew reports a suspicious beeping device. What now?
    But then again its aer lingus.
    As opposed to who?

I suppose you would rather a brave crew who carried on brazenly. Or a crew who were too scared to come back lest they were wrong. Hurrah for safety.

Electronic Medical Equipment on a Plane! starring Samuel L Jackson...

what the hell are you on about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

what the hell are you on about

He's on about SNAKES on a plane! starring Samuel L Jackson. Believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Victor wrote:
    Side point. When I make a bomb (no current plans ;)), I'm going to make it (a) silent - no ticking or beeping (b) no flashing lights (c) no timer display, or if it must have a timer display it will be designed to detonate when it reaches 00:10:00

Forgot the last bit:

Won't write "there's a bomb onboard" in an inflight magazine...:D

Advertisement