Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 307

Options
  • 17-07-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

With the cost of petrol going so high, I'm thinking about changing to a Diesel, and one of the cars I'm looking at is a Peugeot 307 HDI (as outside that of the engine in the Honda Accord its one of the best available). I'm just wondering though that people think of them reliability wise, especially given the stalling problems with the 206's, and them coming last for the last two years in the TopGear Survey.

http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/problems.html

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/3.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I had a 307 HDI for a week about two years ago, when my petrol 307 was with the dealer to have a couple of problems fixed.

I took it to Cork and back (from Greystones) on less than half a tank of diesel. The car was very comfortable and nice to drive (especially on national routes), but you get nothing from the engine above about 3,500 revs, so don't expect to be first away from the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had a 307 HDI for a week about two years ago, when my petrol 307 was with the dealer to have a couple of problems fixed.

I took it to Cork and back (from Greystones) on less than half a tank of diesel. The car was very comfortable and nice to drive (especially on national routes), but you get nothing from the engine above about 3,500 revs, so don't expect to be first away from the lights!

Well, it is a diesel, so I would think that you would want to be shifting up at 2 or 2.5K revs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Was that the 90 or the 110BHP model??

I've a friend who has the 110BHP in a 407 and it goes like sh*t off a digging implement, and its a big heavy car by comparison with the 307.

I know I can get the same engine in the new Ford Focus, but they look horrible inside (and out), and seem overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i have a 1.6 16v 110bhp 307, it does about 55-62mpg with the aircon on!

try to get the 110bhp one, its the same price to tax as the 90bhp and gives the same mpg. it has an aftercooling radiator beside the water cooling radiator if you want to be sure

power is very constant, so no matter what gear or revs your doing flooring it will have a pretty similar effect, in fact after a few weeks driving it, you will find you press the accelerator all the way to the ground in every gear when your starting from rest, onle releasing it momentarily to change gear

if your looking on carzone, keep an eye on the ones with the wood affect dash, they usually have climate control, velour seats, arm rests, just a few nice things like that

biggest problem is you won't see a hid with alloys, you'll have to source your own if you want them

when you test drive, listen out for a squeeling sound when you start and turn off the engine, run away if you hear one, its got a high tech dual mass fly wheel but a few of them have crapped out on the older 2.0l hdis

By the way, this is a great site for reviews: http://www.parkers.co.uk

The Corolla D4D is probably in the same niche as the Peugeot; it's not supposed to be a bad car at all.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Well, it is a diesel, so I would think that you would want to be shifting up at 2 or 2.5K revs?
    First diesel I ever drove. I didn't know any better...

:D

the golf tdi would be dearer to buy and tax, heavier, less bhp, harder on fuel, and way less gadgets, and volkswagons have gone very unriable, people might cop on and stop paying so much for secondhands

edit, someone posted recommending a golf tdi, but deleted his post

First diesel I ever drove. I didn't know any better...

:D

It's only since I got mine that I realised this. And by realise, I mean told this on boards :o

LOL!

Off topic, did you get that work done by the dude in Blacklion? Thinking of bringing my car up to get the bumpers de-scuffed before I sell it.

We're switching to a diesel too! Most likely Passat TDi or A4 TDi(the 130hp one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get a Mondeo or Vectra CDTi comfortable, good to drive reliable and safe.

look up www.fow.co.uk and get one for £9999 or €14500 then €3000 VRT and there you go. Thats for a 2005 model. Beats Irish prices every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

mukki wrote:
    the golf tdi would be dearer to buy and tax, heavier, less bhp, harder on fuel, and way less gadgets, and volkswagons have gone very unriable, people might cop on and stop paying so much for secondhands

edit, someone posted recommending a golf tdi, but deleted his post

Unless you go for the Red D Red I model.

Mate just sold his and it was nice to drive. Turbo didn't kick in unless you had high revs so when he was creeping around in traffic it used sweet FA diesel.

130BHP in her and it was all torque. Good power, good economy, pricey to buy.

think they have stopped making the red d and red i models, but maybe op is after a second hand car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Friend of mine used to have a red D, but traded it for a Lexus the fool.

The torque would be wasted on me though. No need to tow anything.

Looked up the Corolla D4D's and they only seem to do them over here inthe four door version which I hate. And as they're a 2L, the VRT on bringing them in from england would be higher.

As for Mondeo's and Vectra's, well I'm sure they're good cars, but I'm looking for a three door hatchback/coupe preferably.

Stky10- focus!!!, and i dont mean the car, get back to the peugeot 307, you wont regreat it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stky10 wrote:
    I've a friend who has the 110BHP in a 407 and it goes like sh*t off a digging implement, and its a big heavy car by comparison with the 307.

Sorry but it doesn't. I've owned 2 new focus C-max with the same 1.6 16v TDCI engines.

They are very good obviously, sip fuel, and have excellent refinement. They pull hard in gear too, and the overboost facility is great for overtaking.

But a 110bhp 1.6 16v engine in a bigger car like a 407 cannot be fairly described as you have above.

it was probably the 2.0 136bhp version

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stky10 wrote:
    Was that the 90 or the 110BHP model??

I know I can get the same engine in the new Ford Focus, but they look horrible inside (and out), and seem overpriced.

Nah. It's more than adequate btw, but not all that in power terms.

A nice balance actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

I had a 04 307 HDi. Nice car to drive but it was in the garage once a month with various problems. It needed a new 2nd gear after a month. The oil light came on several times for no reason that they could trace. The water pump leaked and was shredding the timing belt another time. It was all covered under warranty but I traded it in the week before it hit 2 years old. At that time the airbag light was on and all the associated wiring was on order because once again they couldn't isolate the problem. On the other hand a friend has a 02 2.0 HDi from new and has had no problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

kluivert wrote:
    Get a Mondeo or Vectra CDTi comfortable, good to drive reliable and safe.

look up www.fow.co.uk and get one for £9999 or €14500 then €3000 VRT and there you go. Thats for a 2005 model. Beats Irish prices every time.

Absolutely. In fact, when I was up north in a couple of Vauxhall dealers, I found out that the UK warranty is 3 years instead of the 2 years Opel offer here, so you could get a 2 year old car and still have a year of manufacturer warranty.

The Fiat 1.9 diesel is supposed to be a cracker - haven't driven one yet. It's available as a 150bhp, pretty quick and very economical. Available in Vectra/Astra, Alfas, Saabs (I think) and Fiats of course.

Re. the 307.... I dunno if I'd recommend it. My wife has one - an '02 petrol, bought new, but we wouldn't buy another one. Comfortable car, but badly built, and lots of them have electrical gremlins. Avoid the 1.4 (75bhp) older model, and the 1.4 diesel like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

kluivert wrote:

3k VRT on a 2005 car.

You got my hopes up so much I submitted a quote for a standard Mondeo TDCI 115ps LX with 13k miles...€6682 they want.

I found the same thing when looking over there earlier in the year. The sterling difference and VRT takes a lot of the good out of travelling. You save a bit alright, but sometimes not as much as you might if you found the right car at the right price in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have a 2002 1.4HDI 307 XS model with 92k miles on the clock.Bought from new.Not a loss on it.Very comfortable and economical.It lags a bit of power for overtaking but other than that I couldnt fault the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

father has a 307 HDi diesel van. plenty of power, comfy seats, all elecs, etc etc... but it handles like a sheep after a bottle of vodka..... tried to kill me a couple of times.

Advertisement